• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tried the new Trinovid today (1 Viewer)

No question about that! If we are living in the Golden Age of Optics, we are also in the Age of Chinese Sports Optics Clones.

The producers of coating and grinding machines and many others are happy if they can sell to China. Also it's hardly be a problem to buy the needed know-how.

Steve

I know about the graduate school invasion. My son is a 3rd year graduate student in Physics at Boston University. There are about 100 students total enrolled in the Physics Grad progam at this time and about 30 are Chinese. I expect that this is typical of other colleges. Still a drop in the bucket compared to their population though. I read somewhere today, can't recall where now, that there are in China at present 125,000,000 females between the ages 18 and 25. They expect this number to go down by about 20,000,000 over the next 10 years. And thanks to their past 1 birth per family policy there are many more males than that.

China has a severe demographic problem. Too high a percentage of it's population is getting old too fast. Actually it has a higher percentage of people over 45 than the USA does. So it needs all those younger people working there to support the old ones. David Goldman, who writes a column on Asia Times under the pen name "Spengler" has written about this coming demographic disaster which will also hit Europe hard.

Here is a typical column: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/ML13Dj05.html

He has a book too. Not recommended reading when you can't get to sleep though.:-C

Bob

PS: Here is another one specifically about China: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/MK22Ad01.html
More positive in outlook.

This is pretty scary stuff, Bob. Press time this week, but I will go back and read more when I have the time. Reads like a Stephen King Apocalypse novel.

Here's a scary stat: If present fertility rates hold, the number of Germans will fall by 98% over the next two centuries.

I hope Steve's (hinnark) grandchildren have big families who can work as the next generation of German optical engineers, otherwise in 2112, we will see Leica-Punjabi binoculars made in India. :)

Brock

Last edited:
This is pretty scary stuff, Bob. Press time this week, but I will go back and read more when I have the time. Reads like a Stephen King Apocalypse novel.

Here's a scary stat: If present fertility rates hold, the number of Germans will fall by 98% over the next two centuries.

I hope Steve's (hinnark) grandchildren have big families who can work as the next generation of German optical engineers, otherwise in 2112, we will see Leica-Punjabi binoculars made in India. :)

Brock

There are a couple of articles that address Germany's demographic problem. (Goldman has a PhD in German-language and literature) Here is one:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/JE20Dj05.html

If you are interested you can find more essays on the subject of demographics in general here:

http://dunedain.net/spengler/viewtopic.php?p=5918&highlight=#5918

These and essays on other subjects can be found under the link to the "Expat Bar" which appears when you click on "Spengler" on the home page of atimes.com.

Bob

The relatively small fraction of women among birdwatchers and, BTW, optic enthusiasts as well, definitely doesn't help to increase the reproduction rate in our field of knowledge...

Steve

I've been reading all the post on this thread with interest. How many people have actually tried the binoculars? Personally there is no substitute for trying them 'in the hand'. I did and bought a pair. To my eyes they suit better than Ultravids which I just did not like. At the end of the day whatever test people conduct it still come down to suitability to an individuals needs and eyes. These new binoculars really suit my eyes and for me are they better than Ultravids. Would I shout and jump up and down with anyone who has the opposite view - no. At the end of the day it all down to personal choice and preference. I now stand back and await all the flak from people telling me I cannot be right, but, I just love these new binoculars and I respect everyone who loves their Ultravids, swaros, nikons etc. Incidentally I find them extremely comfortable in the hand as well.

Phil

Here is some flak: for 1300 euro I can get a Zeiss victory which is lighter and I like the views better. I've tried the Trinovid and although they are not bad at all, I feel I have options I like better for that much money.

Here is some flak: for 1300 euro I can get a Zeiss victory which is lighter and I like the views better. I've tried the Trinovid and although they are not bad at all, I feel I have options I like better for that much money.

No, that's a personal preference which is what it is all about.

Phil

Phil, there are Trinnie BA and BN owners on BF who like their old Trinnies better than the new Ultravids, so your preference for the new Trinnie doesn't surprise me.

With the "Big Three" all having mid-tier bins now, plus competition at that price point from Nikon, Kowa, Pentax, Meopta, Vortex and Alpen, personal preferences including performance vs. price are bound to enter purchase decisions except perhaps for Leica Loyalists, who are more likely to stick with their brand and buy either model.

I agree that nothing beats a hands-on test/comparison with bins. However, since these are not available anywhere near me, I wanted to see what a reviewer had to say about them.

I ran the link on Babel Fish for Dutch to English, but it didn't work. Could be because it's a pdf file.

So I just copied the mini-review next to the bin and tried Google Translate and this is what it came up with:

"Not tested against the light yet. Trinovid is Leica's new, affordable model series.
Very sharp binoculars in all conditions. Ideal for hunters because of its high contrast, allowing the telescope to one of the best-8x42 binoculars in twilight. Missing AquaDura-coating. Practical all round binocular with remarkable qualities in twilight in relation to its price. Much of the money."

Not sure what they mean by "not tested against the light yet" when in the next breath they say "Very sharp binoculars in all conditions".

I think temmie would agree with the last statement: Much of the money. :)

I'm guessing they actually wrote "Much FOR the money."

Brock

Brock
I don't understand the against the light bit. Think that brand loyalty probably goes across the board with the different makes. I had the original Trinovid's and in many ways wish I'd kept them! Have since had swaro's which were good but as I had bought 8x30 just didn't suit me. I like the debate and enjoy reading everyone's views. In no way would I presume to try and persuade anyone which are the best, I know which I like and am really happy with them. Also have a pair of Hawke's as back up and for the money they are absolutely outstanding.

Best regards

Phil

...Not sure what they mean by "not tested against the light yet" when in the next breath they say "Very sharp binoculars in all conditions"...

It says "motlys", which means backlighting. Why they haven't tested for it is strange, I mean how difficult is that? Could it be because the result..? Nooo... The Ultravid HD is brilliant in backlighting, according to the test.

My point with the joke thing is of course that why would someone pay 5500 Norwegian crowns more for a not as good pair? They better start working on an update for their flagship in that case.

Last edited:
It says "motlys", which means backlighting. Why they haven't tested for it is strange, I mean how difficult is that? Could it be because the result..? Nooo... The Ultravid HD is brilliant in backlighting, according to the test.

My point with the joke thing is of course that why would someone pay 5500 Norwegian crowns more for a not as good pair? They better start working on an update for their flagship in that case.

They probably are working on an Ultra update (the mind staggers at what the price might be), but I suppose the priority was to get the new Trinnies out in the mid-tier market to compete with the new mid-tier offerings from Zeiss and Swaro.

Brock

vop,

Thanks for that better translation! Yes, the Ultravids are supposed to be the best alpha for backlit situations, so that would be a good test to perform to see how the new Trinnies compare.

If the Trinnies are not as good, here's a trick. In backlit situations, pull your eyes back from the eyecups. That will reduce the amount of background light hitting your eye, and will increase contrast and detail on the bird.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back