• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glare (1 Viewer)

DHB

I have had two pairs of binoculars lately that have had what I would call glare in the bottom 1/3 of the view. Both were brand new. 8x30 Zeiss Conquest and 8x28 Pentax DCF MP. In artificial light there is no problem but using them outside in just about any lighting condition I see a very severe crescent shape glare in the bottom of the view and no matter what I do it stays there. It degrades the view horribly. What is a little funny is both of these bino's use very-very similar eyecups. In fact they have a lot of resemblance to each other. I switched to another pair of bino's and there would be no glare, so I'm convinced it is something particular with these bino's.
Anybody else ever see this ?????

DHB said:
I have had two pairs of binoculars lately that have had what I would call glare in the bottom 1/3 of the view.<snip>

Sometimes, if the eyecups are very short, you may get back-reflections from light falling onto the eye-piece. To figure out if that is the case, you could try using a cap when viewing through the binos.

Cheers, Jens.

mike60 said:
I was wondering if it could be reflected light off a metal framed pair of glasses somehow?

I do not wear glasses. These two are the only pairs I've had do this in any amount.

Dave

I've seen the same through the DCF MP, associated with viewing at about 45 degrees from the sun. Perhaps the achilles heel of a good set of binos?

DHB said:
I have had two pairs of binoculars lately that have had what I would call glare in the bottom 1/3 of the view. Both were brand new. 8x30 Zeiss Conquest and 8x28 Pentax DCF MP. In artificial light there is no problem but using them outside in just about any lighting condition I see a very severe crescent shape glare in the bottom of the view and no matter what I do it stays there. It degrades the view horribly. What is a little funny is both of these bino's use very-very similar eyecups. In fact they have a lot of resemblance to each other. I switched to another pair of bino's and there would be no glare, so I'm convinced it is something particular with these bino's.

Yes, i see it with almost all "El Cheapo" brand roof prism binoculars. That is why avoid all "good buy, good value, entry level" roofs, and i go for quality porros instead, at that price level.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back