• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus , J. A. Naumann & J. F. Naumann 1811

It might be worth a try (though I failed) to find a copy of; Apus 13 (Heft 3/4), 2007:
Hildebrandt, G.: Johann Andreas Naumanns "Naturgeschichte der Land- und Wasservögel des nördlichen Deutschlands und angränzender Länder" (1795-1817)

Avifaunistische Daten
Zusammenstellung und Kommentar von G. Hildebrandt.

1. Einleitung
2. Erscheinungsweise
3. Beobachtungsgebiet der Naumanns
4. Verwendete Literatur
5. Gewährsleute der Naumanns
6. Avifaunistische Daten
7. Danksagung
8. Literatur
As of here, but unfortunately the link doesn't seem to work.

/B

Milvaquila Burmeister 1850

Milvaquila Burmeister 1850, Verzeichnis der im zoologischen Museum der Universität Halle-Wittenberg aufgestellten Säugethiere, Vögel und Amphibien, p. 24.

See attached.

Haliastur Selby Milvaquila Nob.

Attachments

• Burmeister_Verzeichnis.pdf
    412.7 KB · Views: 32
Great find Martin! Most genuses Burmeister puts the genus name in bold and large type followed by its author name. Then the number one followed by Genus first letter and a period and a species name. In a few he lists an alternative for the genus name in not bold type and a much smaller type face. And an author name like Harpyia Cuv. Spizaeatus Pr. Mx. Or Theratopius Helotarsus Smith.
Apparently Helotarsus A. Smith. April 1830. Theratopius Less. Nov. 1830?
Richmond said he did not use the name here?

Laurent explained that nob. "stands for 'Nobis', the dative plural of the first-person pronoun. It's what is called a 'dative of possession': 'to us', as in 'it belongs to us'. It means the author(s) of the work is/are claiming the authorship of the name. The plural can be a true plural (i.e., more than one author) or a royal plural (one author only, talking of himself in the plural)."
As an aside for Björn: Burmeister's maternal Grandfather was Swedish.
http://www.catalogus-professorum-halensis.de/burmeisterhermann.html .

Last edited:
Time for a recap ...

So what's left of post #77 (... or #64):

Acrocephalus, by J. A. and J. F. Naumann 1811 (Richmond card; here: "(See Ibis, 1880, 275.)" = here

Milvulus, by B. H. Hodgson (under the pseudonym "Parbattiah") 1836 (Richmond card; here)

Ridgwayornis, by A. (de Winkelreid) Bertoni 1926 (Richmond card; here)

Only; three papers, three original diagnoses (of genera), to go ...

Björn
--

Last edited:
Bengal Sporting Magazine = CHECK!

Thanks to the kindness of Dorian Leveque (APAC Reference Services), of the British Library: Asian and African Studies, in London, I have now received an excellent scan of pp. 177-183, from the “Bengal Sporting Magazine" (no General), vol. 8 (VIII), No 28, (old series, No.44), from 1 October, 1836 … where “Parbattiah” (a Pseudonym for Brian H. Hodgson) mentioned the scientific, generic name “Milvulus” (but only briefly, in text, on p.183). See attached excerpt.

James, I will send you the full PDF (4,8MB) later this evening.

Enjoy!

Björn

Attachments

• Milvulus, on p.183.jpg
    Milvulus, on p.183.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 21
Another one added to the list!

Sigh. Just when we were getting close to The End, suddenly we´ve got another one; "not yet seen" (I assume, as a result of the recent Pheugopedius vs. Sphenura thread, in the Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature Forum, here) ... resulting in today's Key entry:
Sphenura
[...]
● (syn. Pheugopedius Ϯ Coraya Wren P. coraya) Diagnosis not yet seen (Lichtenstein 1822, Verzeichniss von Vögeln, Conchylien und Insecten, Doubletten des zoologischen Museums hiesiger Königl. Universität, 7). "Sphenura Lichtenstein, Verz. von Vögel, Mus. Berol., May, 1822, pp. 7/8. Type (by monotypy) ... ... ... S. coraya = Turdus coraya Gmelin." (Mathews 1923, 10, 149); "Sphenura Lichtenstein, Verz. Vögel Berl. Mus., pp. 7, 8, May, 1822—type by virtual monotypy, "Sphenura coraya" = Turdus coraya Gmelin (cf. Mathews, Bds. Australia, 10, p. 149, 1923)." (Hellmayr 1934, VII, 153).
I gave it a try, but no luck find it (at least not in a digitized version) ...

Any other fresh arrivals (on unseen genus/generic names), James?

Björn
--

Last edited:
Yes, Björn, I thought I had come to the end as well. However, this undertaking is taking on Sisyphean proportions. Currently working my way through another final (??!!) editing (trying to insert type species citations for all (now mainly synonymous) generic headers), as well as keeping up to date with what suddenly appears on BirdForum (e.g. Sphenura.). Undoubtedly some more "Diagnosis not yet seen" will rear their ugly heads. I am not complaining, though; it keeps me out of the home for the bewildered.

We are even nearer the end than I thought. Thanks to Bernhard Just of the Naumann Museum, Martin has just provided me with a copy of Naturgeschichte der Land- und Wasser-Vogel des nordlichen Deutschlands... (J. A. & F. Naumann, 1811) showing the OD of Acrocephalus. I shall complete the Key entry this afternoon.

We are even nearer the end than I thought. Thanks to Bernhard Just of the Naumann Museum, Martin has just provided me with a copy of Naturgeschichte der Land- und Wasser-Vogel des nordlichen Deutschlands... (J. A. & F. Naumann, 1811) showing the OD of Acrocephalus. I shall complete the Key entry this afternoon.
Thanks Martin and if anyone is in Kothen they should visit the Naumann Museum. So Ridgwayornis is all that is left. Here is an article by Bertoni in 1939 where he lists Ridgwayornis but does not add much.
http://www.faunaparaguay.com/1939.pdf .
Where we should expend our energy is to help James
editing (trying to insert type species citations for all (now mainly synonymous) generic headers)
in a new thread???

Last edited:
Mark, thank you for your comment. However, there is no urgency in my work to include type citations in the Key, in which the prime concern is the etymology of the scientific names. Nevertheless, I still revel in the interest shown by the regular members of BirdForum, whose views and work I gratefully include in the appropriate Key entries. As an example, I refer to the thread Rallidae, post #78, regarding the typification of Canirallus v. Mentocrex.

Mark (and James), I don´t see any reason to start a new tread for "... type species citations for all (now mainly synonymous) generic headers". This thread seems to work pretty well. ;) Only one left.

Any other ones, showing up, onwards ... well, I think we can deal with them here, in consecutive order, as (and if) they appear.

/B

-

Last edited:
Many thanks and much appreciation to Martin, who has kindly provided me with a copy of the OD of Ridgwayornis Bertoni 1926, the "last" of my diagnoses unseen. The Key has been brought up to date.

The OD of the hawfinch is now viewable [here].
The Richmond Index (card [here]) has kudashevi as 'kudaschevi', corrected manually from (I think) 'kudaschewi', but cited from an apparently later source (a 1962 work in Труды зоологического института, instead of the 4th volume of Птицы СССР, which is dated 1960).

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Common Linnet ssp. Carduelis cannabina kudashevi Portenko, 1960 NCR [JS Carduelis cannabina bella]
The author gave no indication of who the bird is named after. Circumstantial evidence leads us to believe it was Prince Alexander Koudashev (DNF), who (with Zarudny, q.v.) described the subspecies Acanthis cannabina taurica and A. cannabina persica (1916); so it seems probable that Portenko (q.v.) had him in mind when describing another subspecies of Linnet, but we have been unable to find more about him or to confirm our assumption. He wrote 'Preliminary list of birds observed in the district of Sochi, Black Sea region' (1916).

Alexander Sergeievich, Prince Kudashev
1872-1919
Birth

28 Jan 1872 • St Petersburg, Russia
Marriage
ABT 1895 • Russia
Wife Ekatérina Vasilievna, Countess Stenbock-Fermor (1867–1951)
Father Sergei Sergeievich, Prince Kudashev(1834–1915)
Mother Elikonida Ivanovna Orlova(1835–1915)
Death 1919 • Orenburg, Orenburgsky Oblast, Transcaucasian Soviet Republic

railway engineer, professor at the Kiev Polytechnic Institute . A pioneer of the domestic aircraft industry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back