• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid focus wheel issue ! (1 Viewer)

I had another opportunity to check out bins at the shop today. Compared Leica 8x32 BN vs Swarovski 8x32 EL. If you look for it, there are definitely differences, the Swaro being brighter, better balanced and crisper. But there is not much in it...

Compared Swaro 8x32 EL to the Ultravid 8x42. Ultravid slightly brighter and a bit contrastier. Again, not much in it. Fiddled with the focus wheel and also looked at a second one out of the box. Still have my doubts, but seems like that's the way it is and chances are if you buy one, you will be ok.

If I were in the market for ideal bins, with ergonomics/weight as an issue, I would look at Swaro 8x32 EL (the 8,5 model is a bit too unwieldy for my liking) and the Ultravid 8x42. Very hard to call between the two. We have heard from Ultravid owners, and all seem 100% pleased. What about anyone who bought the 8x32 EL ?? Any feedback ?

Disclaimer: the shop I was at does not do Nikon so did not have opportunity to compare the SE or HGs which by all accounts box above their weight and compare favourably.

cheers,

niallo said:
Compared Swaro 8x32 EL to the Ultravid 8x42. Ultravid slightly brighter and a bit contrastier. Again, not much in it. Fiddled with the focus wheel and also looked at a second one out of the box. Still have my doubts, but seems like that's the way it is and chances are if you buy one, you will be ok.

I'm sure that if you did the comparison on a dull overcast day you would see a large difference.

Ragna said:
Sleeper you've put it perfectly thats exactly how my focus wheel feels

It appears that the Ultravid construction is like the one on the Trinovids. In that case, there might well be a chance that this "play" might increase. I had my Trinovids in to get that problem fixed when it became too much. That was several years ago. There is just a slight play again now, but nothing to worry about, as long as it stays this way.

niallo said:
Disclaimer: the shop I was at does not do Nikon so did not have opportunity to compare the SE or HGs which by all accounts box above their weight and compare favourably.

cheers,
The Nikon must surely be worth a look as it gives such a bright natural and crisp image (and at Warehouse Express are surely a real bargain in comparison). But the Swaro 8x32 are certainly a dinky little pair of bins, for sure. I haven't seen the Ultravids yet.

I tried the 8x32 Swarovski when buying my Ultravid,iconsidered the Leica 8x42s slightly better and as they were only £25 more choose those.I consider the Swarovski 8x32s at £795 over priced for a 8x32 compared with Nikon and Leica 8x32 models

cuddy said:
Perhaps Manufacturers could be invited to a open chat on a specific day and we the users could give our opinion on their products and services?
Cuddy.

Interesting.
But on the other hand, would we be prepared to listen to the answers, and accept their answers, and how would you feel if they could clearly demonstrate that someones particular purchase, was not as good as everyone had said it was (measured, not subjective). It must be a two way thing.
No doubt looking at some of the posts they are listening to what the users are saying (maybe even taking part in the forum) and they might be thinking that some of the points are valid, or heavens forbid utter rubbish.
I would feel a bit stupid, if I should make a point, which turned out to be down to lack of optical knowledge or rumour, which is unfounded

Ragna said:
I tried the 8x32 Swarovski when buying my Ultravid,iconsidered the Leica 8x42s slightly better and as they were only £25 more choose those.I consider the Swarovski 8x32s at £795 over priced for a 8x32 compared with Nikon and Leica 8x32 models
I haven't even seen a pair of Ultravids, yet, Graham. They sound a delight.

Steve yes they are a delight to use fit my hands perfectly and seem as sharp as the Nikon HGs.Had my last pair of binoculars(Ziess 7x42 )for 15 years so considered it time for a new pair, hope the Ultravids will be as reliable as the Ziess.

I saw a cousin of mine the other day - a very keen local birder, but one who keeps himself to himself. He was still using his pair of Zeiss which he'd had from those heady days when they were the best to have.

Hi scampo. I only changed my ziess 10x50's last month, I bought them in 1974. Sad or what?!!! I must say it's a very different world through the ultravids.

John.

I have used my pair of Swaro 8.5's for nearly 2 years now from rainforests to deserts and they have been spot on in every situation. The focus distance is c7 feet max, and they're tough as old boots!! They are heavy tho!!

I use a Leica Televid APO scope though, and doubt if I would buy another!!

You pays your money, takes your choice, and then need councelling to comfort you!

Hi Scampo. The ultravids show a lot more clarity,which is only to be expected as there is a difference of 30 years technology. They are far better in bad light, again to be expected and they are a lot lighter. Besides I got another lifer with the leica (a Bittern on my local patch) ;) On the downside my bank balance is also a lot lighter :C John.

John I've just changed from Ziess 7x42 to 8x42 Ultravid.Yes they are a lot of money but when i part exchanged them for the Leicas i only lost £115 over what i originally paid for them 15 years ago, less than £8 a year ,there are very few pastimes that cost so little.Zeiss,Swarovski,Leica and Nikon equipment will always hold a better second hand value.So i think its well worth buying top gear.

Hi Graham. Yes it's very true what you say. You get what you pay for and I think the ultravids (mine are 10x42)were worth every penny.I now keep the zeiss in the car at all times.Enjoy your Ultravids. John.

Well sadly the play in the focus wheel is getting worse in my Ultravids. I am now contemplating taking them to the bird fair and chatting with the leica stand.

Does anybody have any experience of leica service? thanks in advance.

Sleeper said:
Does anybody have any experience of leica service? thanks in advance.

It's execrable ...

I purchased a brand new UV filter for my Leica scope. It took 4 weeks to arrive, was very dirty, and had the wrong glass in it. It was sent right back to Leica UK. Two weeks on and I am still waiting. 6 weeks for a brand new filter for Christ's sake.

I sent them an email asking for confirmation that the carriage and packaging costs would be refunded but they can't be bothered to reply. If they don't then I'll take them to the small claims court on principle.

I don't think I'll ever buy another Leica product. (I'd previously heard lots of stories about poor service ... )

I was told by the RSPB shop where I bought my Swaros a similar story, Leif - and that made up my mind, even though I did think at the time that I should never need the service dept. on such a quality purchase.

Recently, I had a small problem with my Swaros and they sent a spare part by return. I can't speak too highly of their service department.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back