• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 more for Opus from 3 continents and a question on gallery and Opus rules (1 Viewer)

AdamRiley

Adam Riley
Hi folks, I have just loaded 3 new Opus species on the BirdForum gallery:
Crimson-headed Partridge from Borneo, Giant Kingbird from Cuba and Grey Pratincole from Gabon - all highly sought-after and attractive birds!

Also a question, the rules of the gallery indicate that images of birds on nests are not permitted. Does this apply to Opus as well? If so, it will make it almost impossible to obtain images of species such as Mossy-nest and Black-nest Swiftlets as they are pretty much only identifiable when sitting on their nests (unless in the hand.) I do have images of them but don't want to break any rules in posting these images.

Best wishes for a superb birding year ahead to everyone!

Hi Adam

Thanks so much for these pictures - much appreciated.

We don't allow nest shots in the Gallery, but Opus is rather different with articles being seen in an educational, reference context.

Please upload your pictures into a thread in this Opus forum, where the Editors can have a look at them and decide on a case by case basis. I think we probably wouldn't want to see babies being fed in the nest for instance.

Happy New Year to you.

D

Hi Delia

Thanks for the quick response. Here are 3 swift images from Gomantong Caves in Borneo - Black-nest Swiftlet, Mossy-nest Swiftlet and Edible-nest Swiftlet. These swiftlets can only be safely identified by their nests and this massive nesting colony in this cave is part of an eco-tourism project as well as a sustainable nest collection project for bird's nest soup.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Swiftlet, Black-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR smaller.jpg
    Swiftlet, Black-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR smaller.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Swiftlet, Edible-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR-1.JPG
    Swiftlet, Edible-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR-1.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Swiftlet, Mossy-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR-2 smaller.jpg
    Swiftlet, Mossy-nest Gomantong Borneo Malaysia AR-2 smaller.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 140
Thanks Adam

Some of the Editors are away on holiday at the moment - we'll await their return before making a decision.

D

As no one else has made comment I will put my thoughts.

As Adam states these were part of an eco tourism project and not done by devious or underhand means. Also with the identification at least we are sure they are correct. It may be ignorance on my part but would these be hard to photograph in daytime conditons outside [sorry if that sounds a stupid question].

So as far as I am concerned even though they are nest photos and of course not allowed in the gallery, for Opus I think these will act as a good for the refernece of the species.

Thanks Adam, all the pictures are now added to the articles.

Can you remember when you took them?

D

Hi Delia,

I download the photos, and open them in Irfanview and then look in properties (Image - information); or in Windows photo viewer (File - Properties - Details). I remember a thread that mentioned a browser add-on that could do it from the browser, but never followed it up.

Alan

Oh I just knew you were too clever for me Alan:-O

That explains it though, I don't have Irfanview (nor that other one you're on about). Was it an add-on for Firefox?

Anyway thanks for finding the dates and adding them to the captions.

D

Thanks Delia, Alan, Marmot & Niels - my apologies for not responding sooner, I am just back from a month in Ethiopia. Will post some photos from this trip as soon as I am caught up! Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back