• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro Durability (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
I am in love with my new EIIs. That said I am afraid to look at them to hard and knock a prism askew. Just how fragile is this design? How about other designs like the SEs, Swifts, older Zeiss, etc? I am not perticularly rough on bins but I also don't want to always leave my best image behind because it might be jarred.

Robert,

I can't speak to the durability of the EII's, but can offer some thoughts with respect to the Swifts. I have a pair of the original Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44 804R's which I purchased nearly 25 years ago. They are my only pair, and have been used daily. They have been with me all over the continent, and have seen the harshest conditions any binocular could right here in Montana where I live. Admittedly, I am careful with my equipment, but at the same time they get used. They have never failed me. I have never had a problem with them mechanically, although on occasion they have been known to fog up internally (Ambient temp. -40!) The view through them is one of the best. Not bad for a initial investment of $169.00! Unfortunately, they have began to produce some eye-strain and I suspect they are slightly out of collimation. Although I would like to have them repaired, I have decided to replace them. You can bet it will either be a Swift or Nikon porro. I hope you enjoy your EII's as much as I have my Swifts.

Ted

I am an avid birdwatcher since the 1970s. For 25 years i have used a pair of individual focus Zeiss. They were a WW 2 relic. They only fogged once, and they are still very sharp and bright. Since 1995 i have used a Zeiss Dekarem 10x50 for birdwatching and working. I have also used a pair of Swift Kestrel 10x50 for collecting data on shorebirds for two years. These binoculars were used on daily basis on some of the harshest conditions imaginable. I did take care of all my binoculars. The Zeiss is slightly out of allignment, but the Kestrel is ok.
Durability is not an issue with porros if they are properly built, but some are built stronger than others. Old Zeiss, Swarovski, Swift, are among the toughest. Also, Hensoldt and I.O.R., but they are military style individual focus. I suspect Nikons are tough too.
It is not the construction type (porro vs. roof) that matters, but the built quality. If they were designed and built strong, then there will be no issues.
Don't worry about the EII. Just don't drop them, and don't use them as a sledge hammer or as an anvil. Of course, scuba diving is not an option either. I know of a pair of EII that has worked hard with 2 graduate students in wildlife, for about 4 years. They did not care of it, but it is as new. I will use it this spring in NM.

Last edited:
Robert Ellis said:
I am in love with my new EIIs.

Me too. I have a pair of 10x35 EII for work on a government funded project, and i could have bought almost any bino. I can buy any binocular i want for myself, but i will get a 10x35 EII or Swift porro 8.5x44 ED. Maybe two of them, or both of them, just in case they discontinue them. I rarely am impressed by roof prisms, and believe me, i looked through almost all of the top models.

Hi all,

On a similar theme I am contemplating purchasing some SE's - however I am slightly worried about possible fogging etc. From what I have read they are rugged enough to stand up to the odd rain shower or snow shower but I assume if I'm heading to the tropics later in the year it would be better to take my old roofs.

Luke.

There is no denying that a quality roof is a more durable, waterproof, and forgiving design. That does not mean that porros are delicate. I think porros can handle most environments as long as you can give them some moderate protection. I prefer roofs because I am extremely rough on my equipment and I need something that is a little more idiot proof.

ranburr

Good to hear some positive views on porro durability. I'm definitely shy about buying another pair of porros after killing several pairs. Some have died from moisture, some have died from getting knocked. The ones that got wet were certainly my fault but I never thought I knocked the other bins bad enough to understand why they went out of allignment. Hopefully top quality porros are rugged.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back