• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x30 SLC's..... (1 Viewer)

Buster

I've been looking for a good deal on an 8x30/32mm bino for a while and just bought a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's that should arrive tomorrow.

These will be the first Swarovski's I've ever owned, so I'm excited for the opportunity to compare them to my Leicas and Nikon Venturers. It seems to me, guys either love or hate Swarovski's, even more so than with other optics brands, so I'd like to hear about your personal experiences, especially with the 8x30 SLC's.

The one thing that may be a sticking point with me and the 8x30's is the focus wheel being on the opposite end of what I'm used to, but if they're good clear glass, I'm sure I can learn to live with it. What do you guys think about it?

Any input would be appreciated,
Buster

Congratulations, Buster.
I have the 8x30 SLC also, and I consider them the best among my 8x30-ish binoculars (I have many, but not Leicas or Zeisses) and better than many of my other size binoculars. While the best of my other 8x30's are only a tiny step below the Swarovski, the SLC definitely gives a gratifying view. It's resolution and contrast are a hair better than the others. I mentioned the SLC in a recent post in the Nikon section (the one about the Nikon E-series).
As for the focus wheel location, I find that it frees your other fingers to hold the binocular more steadily. I don't know if there is much variation in people regarding "ring" finger dexterity. I think you can get used to it easily.
Any specific questions?

Buster said:
I've been looking for a good deal on an 8x30/32mm bino for a while and just bought a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's that should arrive tomorrow.

These will be the first Swarovski's I've ever owned, so I'm excited for the opportunity to compare them to my Leicas and Nikon Venturers. It seems to me, guys either love or hate Swarovski's, even more so than with other optics brands, so I'd like to hear about your personal experiences, especially with the 8x30 SLC's.

The one thing that may be a sticking point with me and the 8x30's is the focus wheel being on the opposite end of what I'm used to, but if they're good clear glass, I'm sure I can learn to live with it. What do you guys think about it?

Any input would be appreciated,
Buster

Hey Buster,

Great choice! My first mid-size quality binoculars was an 8x30 SLC Mk II, which I purchased in 1994. At the time I had a choice between the Leica 8x32 BA and Zeiss 8x30 BGAT. All fine binoculars. I never regret having bought the Swaros even though the "experts" rated them a close third. (Secretly I have to smirk a bit because the Leica and Zeiss models are now history, but the Swaros live on!)

They are still the lightest and most comfortable 8x30s on the market and IMO have never been equaled in ergonomic design. I haven't tried the SLCnew version, but it apears to have similar advantages to the Mk II, which provides a finger tip rest in top as well as low pressure point thrumb grooves below. Locating the focusing wheel in the front is common to the 8x30 and both Swaro pocket binoculars. Although often disparaged by the same "experts," it's really a very useful innovation that allows fine focus control while bracing the fingers on the brim of a hat. In this one respect I find the 10x42 SLC to be less comfortable.

Swarovski recently overhauled my 8x30 Mk II to better than new condition, so it will be with me forever. By today's standards, the short focus of 12' is not quite as versatile as other brands, but the wide field (408'), improved coatings (Swarobright), and very natural view are outstanding for use in every situation.

Enjoy the view whatever you do with your new binoculars.

Elkcub

Last edited:
Good choice!!!

I just purchased the 8x30 slc bins. Wow, I love them. The forward mounted focus wheel is taking some getting used to, but it is smooth so no big deal.

I researched bins like a madman and found these to match me. The whole bit about what feels right in your hand is so true. For 33% more in price the EL's simply were not worth it to me. Nothing holds in my hands as steady as the SLCs. I'm happy.

So off to find the Ivory Billed Woodpecker I go. Ever walked miles through a swamp with chest waders on? Now this is why I chose 19 oz bins. And why I had to find the best warranty.

T

By the way, the entire package you rcv is a very nice touch.

RobConnel said:
Does anyone know why Swarovski decided to put the focus wheel on the opposite end?

Hard to say. The mechanical design goes back to the mid-1980s, with the 7x30 and 8x30 Mk I series. Swarovski might have done it that way to keep the diopter adjustment separated, rather than integrated with the focusing wheel as was done later with the larger SLC models. For whatever reason it was done, it's an excellent bit of human engineering IMO.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back