• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firecrest on Fat Ball Feeder (1 Viewer)

Around 12.40, 14.30 and 15.45 on 8th January 2020 a Firecrest visited the fat ball feeder in our West Christchurch, Dorset garden. I've been feeding birds for a number of years now but have never seen this feeding behaviour before. I have had Firecrests in the garden before, the last being in early December 2019. Very excited to get a photo at 14.30, not brilliant as through two panes of glass.

Firecrest 1a-denoise.jpg

Last edited:
What a remarkable bird to get on your feeder Mike!! Wonderful, and a very convincing pic, especially through all that glass.

And of course, welcome to BF!

Nice one (not quite the major rarity as a garden bird in the south or maybe generally so, but still ...) I'm sure I recall seeing the occasional record of Goldcrest visiting fatballs, but not a usual occurrence, I'm sure Firecrest must do (? - well this one did!) but still pretty unusual.

Nice one (not quite the major rarity as a garden bird in the south or maybe generally so, but still ...) I'm sure I recall seeing the occasional record of Goldcrest visiting fatballs, but not a usual occurrence, I'm sure Firecrest must do (? - well this one did!) but still pretty unusual.

A firecrest in the garden is a fantastic bird.
As you say I occasionally had Goldcrest visiting my garden but until last winter never saw them on the feeders but then suddenly they started coming to the fatballs (picking up the crumbs from the bottom of the feeder not actually pecking at the balls themselves), and them progressed onto the suet pellets.
So far this winter though no signs of them at all.

Firecrest did return to feed on fat ball feeder twice today at 14.35 and 15.15. It was joined by a mail Bullfinch at 15.15 which was on the sunflower hearts feeder. This morning I heard a loud 'Kerchew, Kerchew, Kerchew, Kerchew' call overhead and was amazed to see 2 Peregrine Falcons flying together. They were similar sized and looked like 2 males. Eventually they split, one remaining overhead accompanied by a Buzzard. Good garden birding day! Unfortunately I was not quick enough to get any photos this time, but will persevere and hopefully get some without windows in the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back