• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boston area Late march 2012 (1 Viewer)

andy latham

Hi Boston Birders,

I am planning a trip to Denver in late march 2012 for the "chickens" etc. So I was thinking I might break the flight in Boston for a few days the reason see below.
I have a passion for waders (shorebirds), Mountain Plover being the no 1 target in colorado, but despite birding Ontario, Texas and Florida I still have not nailed American Woodcock. I would appreciate any information concerning woodcock in or around the Boston area.
For instance "Is it too early for returning birds?" I'll probably be around 28th/29th/30th March 2012.
Any information would be really helpful!

Thanks In advance.....:t:

Andy L.

I don't think you'll have much luck with woodcocks in March around Boston. They are a challenge to find when they are around. You might check out the Boston Nature Center where several have been seen engaging in territorial and mating displays the past couple of years--generally right about sunset during breeding season. But, I don't think they start this until later in the season. For shore birds, Purple Sandpipers are around during the winter and spring months, and there are usually some Harlequin Ducks off Halibut Point in Gloucester. Snowy Owls have been around as well--you may see one while you're landing at Logan Airport... You may want to check periodically on www.massbird.org and www.ebird.org for sightings and data.
Best of Luck!
Ted

Hi Boston Birders,

I am planning a trip to Denver in late march 2012 for the "chickens" etc. So I was thinking I might break the flight in Boston for a few days the reason see below.
I have a passion for waders (shorebirds), Mountain Plover being the no 1 target in colorado, but despite birding Ontario, Texas and Florida I still have not nailed American Woodcock. I would appreciate any information concerning woodcock in or around the Boston area.
For instance "Is it too early for returning birds?" I'll probably be around 28th/29th/30th March 2012.
Any information would be really helpful!

Thanks In advance.....:t:

Andy L.

Hi Ted,

Not really the what I wanted to hear, but hey ho! The boston NC seems to have been cosistent with sightings during late march for the last couple of years (www. reports) this was one of the sites I was going to try. I have booked the flights and will be in Boston 29th & 30th so will make the most of my time there. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers Andy

End of March should actually be a good time for woodcocks in Mass. This is the time when birders venture out around dusk to watch and listen to their mating flights. You may want to check the sites of these local clubs for trips once they post their schedules for March (not up yet):

http://ssbirdclub.home.comcast.net/~ssbirdclub/ssbctrip.html
http://www.massbird.org/BBC/BBCTrips.htm

Non-members are welcome on these trips. And even if they are not offering a trip when you are there, you could try the same location as the scheduled trip. Last year this report was published:
Woodcock walk in Reading 3/23

From Dave Williams: Six folks joined me for this evening's cold, but clear, Woodcock walk at the Bare Meadow Conservation land in Reading. We had 3 Woodcocks with 2 different birds doing their flight display. We watched 1 male make its stiff-legged, wings-up approach to a female.
Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
Thats more the kind of responce I wanted. The information you have given is excellent, I'll check out the bird clubs closer to travel dates.
Cheers Andy

If you've not been to Colorado previously Andy, you'll have a great time. Be prepared for some strange weather patterns mind, spring in the Rockies can go from barmy high temperatures to inches of snow in an instance.

Di

Hi Di,

Sounds like Shetland! Yeah I've been reading a load of trip reports for colorado, it really does sound great. Did you write a trip report when you visited or do you have any tips you wish to share?

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

No, I've never done any trip reports but then again, I've only ever done quick stop-off visits to areas closer to Colorado Springs than the Denver area. My sister lives across there but with non of them being interested in birding, I don't always feel comfortable asking them to come along with me and spend hours doing something they wouldn't enjoy for hours at a time. Quick walks are ok, but not the full day.

The scenery is wonderful over there and if you can travel, I've heard people from Virginia say that the Rockies are better than the Blue Ridge!

Enjoy the trip.

Di

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back