• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opus image policy (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
What is the Opus image policy regarding these, please:
1 captive birds
2 nestlings
3 birds held for ringing purposes

I had assumed they wouldn't be allowed (given the similar restrictions in the Gallery and ID Forum for 1 & 2 at least), but when I removed a pic of a captive bird from Indian Peafowl, and of a nestling and a chick held for ringing from Common Ringed Plover, my edits were reverted without explanation.

The Indian Peafowl wasn't 'captive' when photographed.

It is the only picture of one in flight that I could find on a search in the Gallery and I cleared it with the Opus Editors before uploading it to the article. It was agreed to use it until a flight image of one in their natural range came in.

Opus has 'slightly' different rules to the forum and the Gallery in that it is regarded as an educational resource.

It may not be caged, but it is captive - there is no such thing as a non-captive Peacock population in Britain; it is not a completely free-living bird (the species is not on the official UK list as a feral / introduced species; it would be if there were any non-captive populations).

When you say "I cleared it with the Opus Editors", I presume you mean Opus Administrators? Anyone can edit Opus, and anyone who does so is an Opus Editor: therefore, I am an Opus Editor, but was not consulted. Where is the discussion located, please? If I could see such discussions, it would help me to avoid similar faux-pas in any future editing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back