• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird ID (1 Viewer)

alfred huber

As a European birder, I am not so sure with the ID of the American birds. This wader has the size of a Greater Yellowlegs. Could it be a Short-billed Dowitcher?

Attachments

• IMG_8322_50.jpg
    IMG_8322_50.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 148
Stilt Sandpipers, note the slightly decurved bill.

Short-billed Dowitcher would be more squat by comparison, with a longer straighter bill.

Hope this helps.

Stu

Last edited:
I made a mistake by thinking the companion SP were Greater Yellowlegs but they were Lesser YL and therefore comparable to the size of Stilt SP. Thanks for all the useful comments.

I made a mistake by thinking the companion SP were Greater Yellowlegs but they were Lesser YL and therefore comparable to the size of Stilt SP. Thanks for all the useful comments.

That would be an easy mistake to make. It takes a lot of time watching those to get them right most of the time. Focus on girth of the chest and bill shape and length. The girth of a lesser yellowlegs fits in the average hand fairly well while greater is a bit more of a beast.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back