• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"I like Gold" (1 Viewer)

laleo

I've had my feeders up for a few weeks now and thought that regular sightings of these were something special.

Goldfinch4.jpg Goldfinch3.jpg Goldfinch2.jpg

Then I get home last night as was surprised to see such a gold rush. I know other people must get more but I figured this wasn't too bad for one thistle feeder.

Goldfinch1.jpg

Soon after taking this picture a Pileated Woodpecker came laughing through my yard and landed in a tall pine. I couldn't get a good picture of him before he flew off into the trees.

Last edited:
this makes me remember about a winter i had where there was about 4-6 goldies visiting my feeder each day. they moved on after they started to molt b/c there isnt any habitat for them around here. great shots btw!

Great pictures!

I remember the first time this spring that I ever saw a goldfinch. I saw this yellow bird feeding with my housefinches; it was such a shocking color that I did a double take. Embarassingly enough, I didn't know what kind of bird it was (I'm such a newbie) and I called my husband over. "Come look! Someone must have lost their pet canary, and it's at my feeder!":-O

I have quite a few Lesser Finches in my yard, flocking to my white thistle sock feeders. The other day, I was talked into buying black thistle socks, and the finches have avoided them. They will only feed on the white socks. Do you think they will eventually warm up to the black ones? I have been watching them curiously...want to know if anyone has any experience...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back