• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Viper HD's (1 Viewer)

Yea, but made in China now, right?

Correct. I do want to say. Country of origin is often a good indicator of quality. I will also say there are some pretty decent optics that do come out of China. And some complete junk that comes out of the Philippines. It all comes down to how the optics are spec'd out and how the quality control is implemented. The previous Razor spotter was produced in China. I just did a review for Vortex on the new Viper Spotter that is also produced in China and was very pleased with the quality in the upgrade on those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ1WlAB29B8. If the new binocular is as nice an upgrade as the spotter I think everyone will be very pleased with the new binocular.

Last edited:
They didn't release any new 32mm's. That's too bad.

I'll be looking forward to some reviews and comparison between new and old Vipers.

Last edited:
The specs look good! They are a nice looking binocular too. IMO $400-$500 is about right for a quality MIC binocular. Still bothers me a little that only a short time ago it was a MIJ product for the same price and touted as such.

Looks like the Vipers go head on with the Monarch 7's now, in specs.

I hope the new Vipers HD's dont suffer from collimation problems like alot of Chinese binos do.

The new Vipers eyecups and focus knob look much cheaper, IMO. I loved the old ones but find the better FoV specifications quite intriguing.

Guys the new Vipers are out!! https://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-viper-hd-binoculars.aspx Let me know if you have any questions. Very happy to help you. These do have better glass and wider field of view.

Ben:

Are you a new sponsor on here ? If so welcome aboard. If not, then ?

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better choices.

Vortex is big among hunters, but I know more about optics, and have been around longer than most.

And now, the made in China thing is a big turnoff.

Nobody has ever sold a China made binocular for more than $500.00.

Jerry

Ben:

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better
choices.

Vortex is big among hunters, but I know more about optics, and have been around longer than most.

Jerry

..."There are many other better choices".

Better choices for what, Jerry?

Are there brands that offer higher quality optics than Vortex best? of course. That's pretty much common knowledge, but Vortex optics covers popular market segments with very good glass in each of those segments.

You ever stop to ponder why hunters seem to support Vortex and why in turn, Vortex supports hunters?

- An average hunter's optics probably get subjected to just a bit more abuse in the field that the average birder and as such, over the past nearly fifteen years, Vortex has earned a reputation of being very durable in harsh hunting environments.

-Vortex warranty and customer service is second to none and just so happens to be located in the heartland of the U.S. which also happens to be in the middle of some of the best hunting ground in the U.S. You get zero hassles and extreme quick replacement so your rut-hunting vacation doesn't become a complete waste in the event of an optical failure or accidental breakage.

Fwiw, some of the Viper HD's have been made in China over the last year and some of their top-end Razor optics have been made in China from the get go.

Last edited:
I thought it might be worth mentioning, per an e-mail I received from Vortex just today, the switch to Chinese manufacture of the original Vipers was made by the Japanese company that made them. The Japanese company invested and built a new factory in China, but it's same optics company. Thus some of the previous HD Vipers were being made in both Japan and China near the end of the run as the transition took place. Same materials, same tooling, same designs, same specs. Quality should be near identical per Vortex.

That being said, I'm unsure if this latest version of Vipers just announced in this thread is from that same new factory as the previous, or if they sources a different optics manufacturer. I have that question in to them and will report back.

Vortex reached out to me this a.m. and indicated that the new 2018 Viper HD's will be made by the same Japanese company as the previous versions, at their new Chinese factory.

Ben:

Vortex to me has never been a consideration. There are many other better choices.

Jerry

Unfortunately not a sponsor. I have sent 3 emails to Bird forum over a couple of weeks with no response on becoming a sponsor or advertising.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back