• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Viper HD's (1 Viewer)

I was comparing the prices of the 6x32s with the prices of the 42mm Vipers at Cabelas.

The 3 discontinued 6x32s were selling for over $500.00 on e-bay. At that price I don't want to deal with an e-bay seller. It is far too much, especially when Cabelas is selling 8 and 10x42 Viper HDs that are not discontinued for $489.99 and 499.99.

As I stated, the 6x32 Viper can be had for much less that $500. Brand new sets have sold recently for less than $400 and I just paid $450 for mine.

You suggesting a 8x42 or 10x42 full size bin to someone looking for a 6x32 mid-size bin is apples to oranges and is actually rather silly, but I think you already know that.

I'll bow out now.

As I stated, the 6x32 Viper can be had for much less that $500. Brand new sets have sold recently for less than $400 and I just paid $450 for mine.

You suggesting a 8x42 or 10x42 full size bin to someone looking for a 6x32 mid-size bin is apples to oranges and is actually rather silly, but I think you already know that.

I'll bow out now.

No, it is not "rather silly;" nor is it "apples to oranges." You are being rather officious in making that comment.

A discontinued 6x32 Viper HD no matter who is selling it should not cost as much as an 8x42 Viper HD at Cabelas.

I posted above that I was interested in upgrading my old Eagle Optic 6x32 Platinum Raven binocular. I've had it about 14 years. Maybe something will come up at a reasonable price. I'll keep looking.

Have a nice day.

No, it is not "rather silly;" nor is it "apples to oranges." You are being rather officious in making that comment.

A discontinued 6x32 Viper HD no matter who is selling it should not cost as much as an 8x42 Viper HD at Cabelas.

I posted above that I was interested in upgrading my old Eagle Optic 6x32 Platinum Raven binocular. I've had it about 14 years. Maybe something will come up at a reasonable price. I'll keep looking.

Have a nice day.

It's worth what ever someone wants to pay for it. If you think thats bad, try buying a bottle of 30 year old discontinued whisky

Not buying it. A $3 per day Chinese day worker doesn't really care about quality of work. They're trying not to starve to death. In contrast, Japanese may, and sometimes do commit suicide if they turn out bad quality. The Chinese care about one thing.....money.

If you think that all products being made are equal just because the specs are the same, then you are naive.

Wow, that's quite a post. Straight out of a time capsule.

Your information about China is several decades out of date. The most recent information I could find indicates that the average Chinese worker made $3.60 USD equivalent per hour a couple years, which had risen over 50% in the last few years. They're not rich, but there's a substantial middle class in the country.

Some really great products come out of Japan, but remember, there were stubborn old-timers a few decades ago who complained about products made in Japan.

I didn't waste time researching what a Chinese worker makes, I SWAG'ed it. The rest of the post is still very true, however.

I didn't waste time researching what a Chinese worker makes, I SWAG'ed it. The rest of the post is still very true, however.

Hi JG

Things have been changing radically in China over the last decade and a lot of this is due to investment by companies based in other countries. So for example Kamakura, well-known excellent quality bino manufacturer, has a factory there and for the reasons you mention, I am sure they have maintained their high quality standards there. Other companies like Canon, Volkswagen and Jaguar Land Rover have established factories there, either alone or as a joint venture with a local partner. Companies with an international reputation to protect like Zeiss have products made there to their own quality standards. These are only a few examples but it has been happening on a huge scale due to the Chinese government's rules on inward investment. All of this means that there is a pool of labour and management in China that is now well used to working to international standards of quality. I am sure you can still buy poorly made stuff from China as you can from any country in the world but there is no doubt that China is putting a lot of effort in to become a supplier competitive not just on price but on quality too.

Lee

Given the release of the new Viper, can we expect a new Razor any time soon? The latest Razor was released in 2012.

I think this will all come out in the wash in a few years, either the Vortex brand will sustain with quality goods over time or, have reliability problems - of which we will hear about on this forum. Let us see what happens in a few years.
Some of the startups that failed or are failing were probably doomed from the start. Time will tell, it always does.

In the mean while, enjoy those bins. I am enjoying my new Meoptas.

Andy W.

I had a quick look at a pair of the new 12x50s today. The build quality and optics were quite nice. What really excited me was that the internal reflections that were present in all the earlier models I’ve tried were absent. I’m not sure if this is due to the new eyepieces or maybe New coatings in the ocular lens or perhaps both. In the old models the eyecups were very large and let in quite a bit of light that resulted in green reflections in the barrels. I was able to use eye shields to prevent this but then the fit to my face was not right. I’m looking forward to seeing the new 10x42s to see if this holds true with them and how the larger fov looks.

I stopped in our local Wild Birds shop today and they had a pair of the new 8x42s in their display. I checked them out and compared them to my Cabela Guide 8x32s which I had with me. To my eye they were a tad brighter which they should be but no sharper (yes I did take the time to adjust the diopter). The good news is I did not notice the internal barrel reflections that plauged the earlier models. Not sure whether this is because of the new eyecups and/or anti reflective coatings on the oculars. Based on my admittingly limited comparison I’m not going to be buying a pair but I do think they are a nice glass for the price point and warranty.

Thanks - I'm in need of a new pair as my old ones have finally started to fall apart in a way that makes them hard to use.

I'm intrigued that the new Vipers may approach that sweet spot of value/cost, at least for my needs and budget.

My suggestion would be to order both the new Viper and a pair of Meopros from Sportoptics. Price is nearly the same plus you’ll get 13% off. You can compare them side by side and decide which you like better. Then you can return the other pair. If you do please report back as it would be a great comparison to make

bcl05: If your old Vipers are falling apart send them back to Vortex. They’ll either refurbish them or send you a new pair. Maybe even the new Vipers!

This article is a little old, but its at least an actual researched source regarding quality control in China.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/chinas-manufacturers-and-the-quality-control-conundrum/

Based on this article, and on experiences I've heard about from people working in China in various factories and large projects, I'd say that it is best to exercise some caution when evaluating a made in China product, even in 2018. That said, if a company is committed to quality control, it is definitely possible to get good quality products out of China.

This article is a little old, but its at least an actual researched source regarding quality control in China.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/chinas-manufacturers-and-the-quality-control-conundrum/

Based on this article, and on experiences I've heard about from people working in China in various factories and large projects, I'd say that it is best to exercise some caution when evaluating a made in China product, even in 2018. That said, if a company is committed to quality control, it is definitely possible to get good quality products out of China.

Many thanks for posting this link. The article is a fascinating glimpse into China and one wonders how this situation has developed since 2012 when the article was written.

Lee

I got a chance to handle the new Viper HD (10x50) at our local LGS, who was putting on a vendor day, for lack of a better phrase. It is a typical Chinese glass......very good optics, mediocre build quality. When I put them beside the Nikon HG, or even my Toric UHD, the difference in build quality is easy to feel, see, and hold. The previous model Viper HD seemed to be of better build as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back