• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of prey ID (Romania) (1 Viewer)

siposi

Hello,

I took today these 2 photos of some birds of prey. I would like to ask for help to identify them. I am very sure that the first one is an Eurasian sparrowhawk, but I am not sure in the second one (some kind of hawk?).

Thank you very much in advance and regards,
Istvan

Attachments

• Picture1 copy.jpg
    Picture1 copy.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture2 copy.jpg
    Picture2 copy.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 86
Hi Istvan,
Adult Sparrowhawk and juvenile (2nd calendar year) Goshawk for me. Note the pale markings within the greater coverts, the greater projection of the head than on Sparrowhawk, the proportionally longer wings and what seems to be a more rounded tail tip, though the latter feature is very difficult to judge at times and a single image can be misleading.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back