• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

If anyone is interested in volunteering to help clean up natural areas with ERM--we're doing the Hypoluxo Scrub on Saturday the 12th, 9am till noon. I've done 3- Limestone Creek in Jupiter, Pondhawk in Boca ( not completed but you can wander around in there. It's some former IBM property, you can still see part of the heart trail.) Then we did Juno Dunes West. Funny what old crap you find!

That sounds fun. Do I need to sign up, or just show up?

eta: D'oh, I see Justin asked the same question. I'll just show up if I can.

No worries merry.
I doubt we'll hit the 25 mark anyway, unless a bunch of students decide to join us for "extra credit". And the worst that could happen is Ann running out of work gloves for us!
Wear long pants because we usually end up crawling around.
Ann and Brad the student intern keep pretty good track of what species of plants/animals have been sighted at which natural area so you can ask them stuff.
Hypoluxo Scrub is good for ospreys, gopher tortoises and I did see a merlin there;)

Confused - left would be clockwise. That's what you mean, correct?

Also at Green Cay: a big bunch of Yellow-rumped Warblers. If you take the center short-cut path, they were in the bushes to the right immediately before the "T". I didn't get good pics though, mostly because of impatience.

Got a few good shots yesterday of Palm and Yellow-rumped (always be Myrtle to me) warbler(wed 3/2)

PS: Sydsmythe I was looking for you at Wako in the PM but just like the Virginia rail you were a no show.

Attachments

• palm.JPG
    palm.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 105
  • myrtle.JPG
    myrtle.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I've seen Sandhill cranes at Okeeheelee 5 or 6 times. Except for one time when I saw 3 on the trail I have seen them to the right of the Nature Center hanging out under the big tree. It's usually a groupf of 5.

I've never been there apparently it is a worthwhile venture. Living in Davie I tend to opt for GC or WAKo because I know I always come back with some worthwhile images.

Paul,

In the W Palm Beach area, if you take the Beeline Hwy NW out of town there are almost always a couple of cranes along the road between here and Indiantown, just cruising the swales.

I'm usually only travelling that road mornings and late afternoons, but I almost always see them unless it's high summer.

DO they allow close approach? Thank you.

Hmmmmm any details that's close for me.

The basic instructions I heard came from someone heading back north on 27...they exited at Pines Blvd, heading east, about 100-150 yards on the right-hand side, before 208th ave. It's in a vacant forested lot.

I've been hanging out at High Ridge scrub after work hoping to catch sight of the BE again, although I know that's unlikely.
I was also hoping to catch the gopher tortoises in a domestic dispute again for a photo.

Instead i saw something extremely disturbing, and I know this sounds politically incorrect but.....a Haitian guy was trying to catch one of the tortoises, and i don't think it was for scientific research. When i caught him he took off and i didn't see a car or anything, so no license plate to help track him.
The tortoise scurried back into his burrow.
Now I worry!
The other evening there was a cold 12 pack sitting behind the fence. Jeez.

Paul - if you do get out there today or tomorrow and confirm the nest location, please give me some details - where to look, and where to park if I get the chance to head down there this weekend. It seems to be in a residential neighborhood, and off a main road, so I don't know if there's a nearby store or office that you could park at to go see the nest.

Paul - if you do get out there today or tomorrow and confirm the nest location, please give me some details - where to look, and where to park if I get the chance to head down there this weekend. It seems to be in a residential neighborhood, and off a main road, so I don't know if there's a nearby store or office that you could park at to go see the nest.

I was there today and as I remember having read a couple of years ago the area is posted apparently too many idiots were venturing too close to the nest, if it is even active I have no idea I saw no eagles. However I spent a couple hours at Chapel Trail a bit North on Sheridan and enocountered Limpkin, Blue heron of both sizes the Little Blue being in the white stage. There are also a bunch of those "Broward Moorhens" that look like Gallinules on steroids. Some warblers and sparrows too.

Is Chapel trail the one next to the Broward library? The big gallinule-looking birds were the purple swamphens - I wouldn't mind if a few of them would move north into Palm Beach too - they seem to be a Broward exclusive!

OK...I've been to that one once, during last summer - it was deader than dead. There are only a few areas that remain active over the summer and I was looking out for which ones. I'll have to try it in the winter too one of these times.

I tried Fern Forest yesterday - not real active, but did get to see an amazing number of armadillos, a few kites, one screech owl, and a good selection of butterflies.

Is Chapel trail the one next to the Broward library? The big gallinule-looking birds were the purple swamphens - I wouldn't mind if a few of them would move north into Palm Beach too - they seem to be a Broward exclusive!

I have also seen Purple Swamphens at Stormwater Treatment Area 5.

I tried Fern Forest yesterday - not real active, but did get to see an amazing number of armadillos, a few kites, one screech owl, and a good selection of butterflies.[/QUOTE]

A good photograph of a Kite and a Screech Owl would make my day.

I went to Green Cay Wetlands this morning, tallying about 40 species including Virginia Rail near the gazebo on the northwest corner of the reserve.

There were also several Yellow-headed Blackbirds at the Sem Chi Rice Plant just off C880 near STA-1W.

Carlos

No luck on the photos Bob - I got one fuzzy shot of the owl, and the kites stayed airborne fairly high above, giving me brief glimpses between treetops...it was really a nasty day for photography - grey and rainy off and on all day. I had my camera, but didn't get as many photos.

Carlos - I was at Wako briefly on Saturday after Fern Forest...but no luck on that Virginia Rail - I was looking very closely and slowly right in that area too - lots of sora spotted, still no virginia. Baby herons put on a nice display, black-crowned night heron and black-necked stilts were sitting nicely too. Saw snipes last week but not this week...it was pretty nasty weather though with light rain coming every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back