• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Quick stroll down Bourn brook produced 100+ goldfinch ready to roost in arosa drive. Veiwed from the brook track in the two mature trees. Pleasantly noisy, contact calling, jingling and nasal noises. Approximately 4 p.m..so maybe their roost site.

Manor Farm Park, 4pm:
Goosander (2M, 1F)
Shoveler (3F)
The three female Shoveler were still present late afternoon today.
It was great to bump into Keithr from this forum who had just seen the Goosander fly off. We shared a few Kingfisher tales lol.
On the Bourn Brook I saw the Kingfisher diving. Great!

Did the rounds of my Local places and ended up at Manor Farm Park.....great to meet a couple of Togs/birders who had dropped in on way back from Upton....and then Jason ( zomerset) arrived but he had missed the Goosanders.
Some great chat with Jason about Kings and locations.....cheers.

Awkward lighting when trying to nab the Goosander and Shoveller so had to go with auto iso which gave EVER MORE noise than I usually get...lol.
So pics are a bit flat after N/R....

Attachments

• GOO 1.jpg
    GOO 1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 143
  • GOO 2.jpg
    GOO 2.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 133
  • GOO 3.jpg
    GOO 3.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 161
  • GOO 4.jpg
    GOO 4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 157
  • GOO 5.jpg
    GOO 5.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 141
More Goosander...and noisy Canada's.

Attachments

• GOOO  6.jpg
    GOOO 6.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Canon 2017 JAN 20th 109 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 JAN 20th 109 A_filtered.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 149
Some of the Female Shoveller.

Attachments

• SH 1.jpg
    SH 1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 146
  • SH 2.jpg
    SH 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 130
  • SH 3.jpg
    SH 3.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 146
  • SH 4.jpg
    SH 4.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 140
  • SH5.jpg
    SH5.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 140
After the report of the Dipper yesterday on this forum and Birdguides I was determined to find it. I finally found it this morning on the Bourn Brook down behind the Uni halls. Great!
A few Grey Wagtails, a female Bullfinch and the Kingfisher on the brook at the back of the school. Great!

After the report of the Dipper yesterday on this forum and Birdguides I was determined to find it. I finally found it this morning on the Bourn Brook down behind the Uni halls. Great!
A few Grey Wagtails, a female Bullfinch and the Kingfisher on the brook at the back of the school. Great!

Was there a report of Dipper on this forum yesterday?

Des.

Early morning Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook by the grey bridge. Could not find one on the Rea which was surprising but they've sectioned off a bit for flood defence work. Then one on the Bourn right next to the Valley Parkway boating pond which was a surprise. Only the third time I've seen one there.
This afternoon a Kingfisher on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. Always good to find one there. Great!

Lower Bittell...Monday 22nd....lots of frozen water and not a lot around...

2 Kingfishers flew right to left across Lower with in a few minutes.....
1st went down onto the Arrow the 2nd around the corner towards the canal.

Attachments

• Canon 2017 JAN 22nd 018.JPG
    Canon 2017 JAN 22nd 018.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Canon 2017 JAN 22nd 020.JPG
    Canon 2017 JAN 22nd 020.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 129
Manor Farm Park, 4.15pm

Pochard (1M, 1F)
Goosander (1M)
Shoveler (2F)

alongside the usual numbers of Tufted Duck, decent flock of Canada Geese, couple of Grey Heron

Lower Bittell...Monday 22nd....lots of frozen water and not a lot around...
2 Kingfishers flew right to left across Lower with in a few minutes.....
1st went down onto the Arrow the 2nd around the corner towards the canal.
Nice one Keith!
The Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook has moved down the brook near the res. I could just see it sat on a tree perch over the brook late afternoon. Great!

Hi,

only live in Halesowen so had a walk on Thursday morning between Leasow Drive up to just past the aquaduct on the A38, didn't see anything in this area apart from a Moorhen and a few small birds along the path.
First of all were we in the right area & and could you tell me if where the Kingfisher has moved to is towards or away from the city ?

Cheers

Steve

Hi,
only live in Halesowen so had a walk on Thursday morning between Leasow Drive up to just past the aquaduct on the A38, didn't see anything in this area apart from a Moorhen and a few small birds along the path.
First of all were we in the right area & and could you tell me if where the Kingfisher has moved to is towards or away from the city ?
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, I have seen one a couple times this year on the stretch opposite to Leasow Drive, I've seen them from behind the Uni up the brook for a mile towards Woodgate Valley. Happy hunting!

Found the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook this afternoon. Sat low on the brook next to an inlet pipe.
Then saw the three Shoveler and four Goosander at Manor Farm park. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back