• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can these be rescued? (1 Viewer)

Balego

I took some photos of American widgeons a couple of evenings ago, just before sunset. The birds unfortunately were just this side of the sunshine, putting them in shadow. I was concentrating on keeping them in my screen and wasnt playing with the settings to try to brighten things up. I am pleased with the overal clarity ( I know I can sharpen them up) but disappointed with the darkness. I have tried to lighten them in the computer, but I'm not experienced enough using graphics programs in depth. Maybe someone here would like to have a go? These two photos are only reduced.. no contrast or sharpening, sootc except for sizing.
I find for the most part, either light or distance is working against me as I learn digiscoping. I seem to be in the wrong place at the right time.. I see the birds I want to see, but the sun isnt where I need it if the bird is, or the sun is when the bird isnt. ;)

Bev

Attachments

• amml.jpg
    amml.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 247
  • amwidpr.jpg
    amwidpr.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 205
well, you can always just give up and turn them into silhouettes ;)

Attachments

• silhoutte-amml.jpg
    silhoutte-amml.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 170
  • silhouette-amwidpr.jpg
    silhouette-amwidpr.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 149
  • amml2.jpg
    amml2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 146
  • amwidpr2.jpg
    amwidpr2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 174
I like the originals and Phil's versions too.
Here's an attempt to go in direction you asked, however ill-advised that may have been. Tried to lighten the birds; found they looked v. dull and monochromatic cf. the background, so cheated by colouring them.
All pretty shameful stuff really.

Attachments

• amwigeon.jpg
    amwigeon.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 231
Thanks Phil and Norm for your attempts. You both did better than I did.
I also only achieved a monochromatic result, and there didnt seem to be a way to lessen the glare of the space between the two birds. I now can see the feather detail much better, and your colouring of it, Norm, worked out really well. I made a point when I went to this birding spot to go to the side of the small lake so the sun would be behind me, but unfortunately the birds all stayed just in front of where the sun hit the water, in the shade of the surrounding trees.

Thanks again! You've shown me that it is possible to save photos such as these. Now I just have to learn how.

Bev

Well, I could teach you a trick or two to keep the sunset the correct colors, and just change the ducks, but fear it will take too much of your time.

First things first, Do you have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or higher?

gthang said:
Well, I could teach you a trick or two to keep the sunset the correct colors, and just change the ducks, but fear it will take too much of your time.
One such trick is to isolate the ducks (via masks or selection) and apply edits to the main subject only. Isolating the main subject can be a bit of a pain, though there are various tricks in the editing software.

I recently found that quite a bit of detail could be brought out of what looked like a silhouette.

I have Photoshop 6, but I use Ulead PhotoImpact as I havent much experience with Photoshop. I will fiddle with it, and do as you suggest, Walwyn.. isolate the birds and try to bring those up to par. I am impressed with the amount of detail Norm was able to bring out in the feathering.

Bev

walwyn said:
One such trick is to isolate the ducks (via masks or selection) and apply edits to the main subject only. Isolating the main subject can be a bit of a pain, though there are various tricks in the editing software.

I recently found that quite a bit of detail could be brought out of what looked like a silhouette.

Exactly! Or copy the layer and erase everything except the ducks then apply the Levels adjustment.

I don't know if this is relevant for most of you, but this page has some handy methods for improving selection.

http://gug.sunsite.dk/docs/Grokking-the-GIMP-v1.0/node47.html

another quick fix is to use a contrast mask, duplicate the layer, select that layer, desaturate, invert colours, guassian blur, anything between 4 & 40 depending on the image, set layer mode to overlay and play with opacity. then you can use levels and/or curves to adapt the highlights if necessary.

btw, I like your tinted version, norm.

Thanks for the returned compliment Phil.

Bev, hoping you're not taking on too much at once! As long as you can archive things you now consider misses or near misses, wouldn't be too worried that you are getting the very best out of them straight away.
Even though selections, masks etc are common to most good photo editors, guess you should try to decide which you want to really get to grips with as soon as you can. Phil recommends the GIMP by the way… ;)

If you’re interested in seeing how a quick fix of shadows can be achieved in your Photoshop 6.0, could download and try the demo of the aptly named "shadowfixer" from fixer labs :
http://www.fixerlabs.com/pages/shadowfixer.html

Thanks so much again, and I'll check out the links you both left, Phil and Norm.
I'm practicing my digiscoping as much as I can, and its good to know that some iffy shots are salvageable. I know the ducks will soon be gone and I was lucky to even see them, let alone photograph them! I also got some photos of the male hooded merganser that was near the widgeons, and they are slightly better than these shots. So I was pleased about that.

There is so much to think about, isnt there? I spotted them, but soon realized my scope was zoomed too high. Risking the birds moving, I took off the adapter, adjusted the zoom, put the adapter back on, relocated the birds, set the camera onto the scope, turned it on, focused and refocused, the birds moved.. chased them with the lcd screen all the while fiddling with the tripod head levers, waited for the camera to take its time autofocusing, then I fired off the shots. Whew! So its a surprise any of my shots turn out as well as they do!
Looks like I'll have to try to spend some time learning a bit of this photoshop stuff so the links are much appreciated.

I surprised myself today. I noticed outside a flock of starlings swirling around the trees in my neighbourhood. They settled on a tree down the street, so I ran to grab my gear. I got a couple of photos before they took off, one shown below. What surprised me was taking a shot with bright (compared to the dark bird) sky behind the bird, and getting the details in the birds' underside. It was a very overcast day, and I didnt think there would be enough light at all.
All I did with this photo was sharpen it slightly. Too bad the beak blurred but I cant complain.
Norm, I started to archive the photos today. I deleted the bad ones and am saving the decent ones in my D drive to burn to cd. I look forward to see where I am 6 months from now.. hopefully I will have gained enough experience to tackle spring migration. I WILL get those snow geese! (been trying for four years and nada) ;)

Bev

Attachments

• starling.jpg
    starling.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Can you tell us a bit more about GIMP? It looks a bit complicated to install butlooks like it would be a valuable program to have.

I downloaded Gimp yesterday, but havent had a chance to look at it yet. Thanks for the info. Also downloaded Shadowfixer as well.
I'll check out your new topic re Gimp.

Bev

Update and Help Required

I also downloaded GIMP yesterday. Very impressive looking program. I din't have any problems with the download/installation except that he help files aren't installed. To deal with this I went the on-line tutorial and decided to start printing it off so that i would have a study manual. It's a big document but i think that it will be invaluable long term.
I went to the new GIMP forum and it doesn't recognize me as a member of BF and won't accept my log in. I can read the threads but not post. Anyone know what might be going on? :h?:

Good to know that it went smoothly, when you say "the new GIMP forum", what do you mean?

on the subject of Grokking the GIMP, you can download it in one go from the installer listed in my other post, or you can actually buy the physical book from amazon(or other bookshop, i'm sure), though it's not cheap, it may be easier than printing it all yourself, it's a pretty big book. There are a number of other books too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-0566042-8430243?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

PhilH said:
Good to know that it went smoothly, when you say "the new GIMP forum", what do you mean?

on the subject of Grokking the GIMP, you can download it in one go from the installer listed in my other post, or you can actually buy the physical book from amazon(or other bookshop, i'm sure), though it's not cheap, it may be easier than printing it all yourself, it's a pretty big book. There are a number of other books too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-0566042-8430243?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
I'm referring to the thread that you showed in Post #16. I can read it but won't let me post.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back