• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with my next set of Swaro's (1 Viewer)

michael5959

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee to the forum & am seeking some advice. I have 2 sets of binoculars, a pair of 7x50 Steiner porro's that I won in a raffle about 25yrs ago, and a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL FP's that I purchased about a year ago. The Steiner's are nice, wonderful at dusk & even in the dark, but too heavy, that's what led me to the Swaro's. I had always wanted a set & finally had the means to take the plunge. My impression, astounding in every way. No issues at all with rolling ball, glare, etc. In all ways they are stunning. Now when my wife & I go somewhere we take the Swaro's & leave the Steiner's home. Problem is, we are always trading back & forth, hence the need for another pair.

I went shopping for a nice set of compacts & tried the Swaro 8x25 & new Zeiss 8x25. I preferred the image slightly more with the Swaro's, but preferred the ergonomics of the Zeiss. Between the two I remain undecided. However, I just wasn't overly keen on the compact format. Nice & small, easy to pack yes, but after using the 8x32's, just in a different ball park. So I committed the cardinal sin & tried out the 10x32 & 10x42 EL FP's, and got the same "wow" as I get from my 8x32's. I cant justify the additional price of the 10x42 EL's, but was wondering how the 10x32EL's stack up against the 10x42 SLC's, & if I went with 10x's, would go with one of these.

In the conditions where I tested, in the woods & in the shade, the larger objective size didn't impart a major difference in brightness, but in other conditions it may? I preferred the smaller size, lighter weight, and larger FOV of the 10x32, but the 10x42 did have somewhat easier eye placement, and the larger objective is appealing. We use our binoc's as all purpose, From sight seeing, whale watching, bird watching, sports, concerts, etc (not a hunter). So was wondering what others thought would make most sense for another pair.

If I am patient & hunt I think I can ultimately find a demo set of the 10x32 EL's for around the same price as the 10x42 SLC's which I wasn't able to try(I got my 8x32's as demo for significant savings). But am not sure which way to go vs going down my original path of small, compact, & even more portable. I do want something different though, and the reality is, a small compact binoc that has compromises but you have with you is better than the larger one left at home.

What do you all think makes the most sense for my next set & where would you go if you were in my position.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mike
There is a reason why 10x32s are the slowest selling binos other than 7x binos. Small exit pupil means demands on accurate eye placement are high and although the 32s are light (some would say because they are light) there is more bino-shake with the 10x mag.

I would get a Meopta MeoStar 8x32 or Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and I bet you still end up swapping because they will bring a different character to your observing and the bill will be less than going Swaro EL or SLC but the binos will be nice and compact and not too heavy.

Lee

I'd agree with Lee about the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s. Very good value, optically excellent, and very durable (for how well the Conquest HD line stand up to punishment, see the famous YT video here).

They're not "alpha" but are highly regarded on BF. I have the Swaro 10x42 EL SVs: they are visibly brighter than the Conquests and reveal a bit more detail, but you'd expect that since they cost £1,000 more than the Zeiss. If asked if the difference merits forking out the extra grand, there are many people who'd say it doesn't. The Conquests also have a very nice focusing action, sometimes described as "buttery". The Swaro design causes a sometimes noticeable amount of "stiction".

Edit: welcome to BirdForum Mike!

Last edited:
I think if you buy your wife a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 your wife and you are going to be arguing who get's the Swaro! The Swaro SV IMO is without a doubt better optically than the Conquest especially in contrast and edge sharpness and I just bought a new FP SV 8x32 and the focuser is perfect with no "stiction". When you buy a Swaro have the dealer check the focuser out before shipping it. In my experience they can vary a little bit although it seems the latest FP models are all pretty good. Since you want something different and it seems you are leaning towards 10x I would take Lee's advice and avoid a 10x32. The exit pupil like he say's is smaller and you won't find them as satisfying as your SV 8x32's or as easy to use. I would get the SV 10x42 and then when your wife spots something with the SV 8x32 with it's bigger FOV you could switch with her with your 10x42 SV and your wife could get a closer more detailed look and vice versa. Almost like having a zoom binocular! You can save money by getting the 2nd generation SV unless you have to have the FP package because the optics are unchanged between the two. Plus your wife is going to be happy with the SV FP 8x32's and remember "Happy Wife Happy Life." It is True!

Last edited:
Don't give up on a "compact" binocular until you try Swarovski's new CL Companion B. It comes in 8x30 and 10x30. I have the CL Companion 8x30 B and I find I am using it nearly every day. It has newly designed oculars that make eye placement very easy and it costs much less than the 8x32s. They are often in short stock. Apparently Swarovski is selling them as fast as it can make them.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/cl-companion-c21010504/cl-companion-8x30-green-p5418295

Bob

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee to the forum & am seeking some advice. I have 2 sets of binoculars, a pair of 7x50 Steiner porro's that I won in a raffle about 25yrs ago, and a pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL FP's that I purchased about a year ago. The Steiner's are nice, wonderful at dusk & even in the dark, but too heavy, that's what led me to the Swaro's. I had always wanted a set & finally had the means to take the plunge. My impression, astounding in every way. No issues at all with rolling ball, glare, etc. In all ways they are stunning. Now when my wife & I go somewhere we take the Swaro's & leave the Steiner's home. Problem is, we are always trading back & forth, hence the need for another pair.

I went shopping for a nice set of compacts & tried the Swaro 8x25 & new Zeiss 8x25. I preferred the image slightly more with the Swaro's, but preferred the ergonomics of the Zeiss. Between the two I remain undecided. However, I just wasn't overly keen on the compact format. Nice & small, easy to pack yes, but after using the 8x32's, just in a different ball park. So I committed the cardinal sin & tried out the 10x32 & 10x42 EL FP's, and got the same "wow" as I get from my 8x32's. I cant justify the additional price of the 10x42 EL's, but was wondering how the 10x32EL's stack up against the 10x42 SLC's, & if I went with 10x's, would go with one of these.

In the conditions where I tested, in the woods & in the shade, the larger objective size didn't impart a major difference in brightness, but in other conditions it may? I preferred the smaller size, lighter weight, and larger FOV of the 10x32, but the 10x42 did have somewhat easier eye placement, and the larger objective is appealing. We use our binoc's as all purpose, From sight seeing, whale watching, bird watching, sports, concerts, etc (not a hunter). So was wondering what others thought would make most sense for another pair.

If I am patient & hunt I think I can ultimately find a demo set of the 10x32 EL's for around the same price as the 10x42 SLC's which I wasn't able to try(I got my 8x32's as demo for significant savings). But am not sure which way to go vs going down my original path of small, compact, & even more portable. I do want something different though, and the reality is, a small compact binoc that has compromises but you have with you is better than the larger one left at home.

What do you all think makes the most sense for my next set & where would you go if you were in my position.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
My advice is keep it simple. You like the 8X32 SV...get another one so you both enjoy the same view. Otherwise, you may be trading bins again. We have the 8X32, 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV. My wife uses the 8X32 SV exclusively and she loves it. I've done a lot of comparisons with it and all I can tell you is it's a real gem.

If you must have variety, the 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV's are great bins. My wife, however, never uses either of then due to their weight.

You have plenty of options but the Swarovisions are in a unique class.

Since you HAVE the 8X32 SV....size IS somewhat important to you.... I'd so go with a 10X42 SLC. It's a no brainer. The SLC is really a top level binocular.

You can see in the picture below that there really isn't a WHOLE lot of difference in the size of the SV 32mm and the SLC 42mm. In the picture in order from left to right is a 8X32 SV, 8X42 SLC, and a 8.5X42 SV. The new SLC weighs about 28 ounces and the SV 32mm about 21 ounces...

Attachments

• IMG_0695_1.jpg
    IMG_0695_1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 726
Chuck and Ceasar ideas are good ones. The CL 8x30 is a very good binocular and the 10x42 SLC is a top level binocular as Chuck says but as Pileatus said in his post the Swarovisions are in a unique class. Neither of these other two binoculars will give you the perfect edges and easy walk-in view of the Swarovision's and I am afraid if you are used to that on your 8x32 SV you will miss it. I know I have switched to other binoculars and I would start missing the view of the Swarovision and you say they WOW you so why would you change? Either get another 8x32 SV or if you want 10x get the 10x42 SV for you and give your wife the 8x32 SV. Females with smaller hands love the SV 8x32.

El

Or you could just go larger aperture and get the extra mag in the 12X50.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5377.jpg
    DSCF5377.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 184
My advice is keep it simple. You like the 8X32 SV...get another one so you both enjoy the same view. Otherwise, you may be trading bins again. We have the 8X32, 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV. My wife uses the 8X32 SV exclusively and she loves it. I've done a lot of comparisons with it and all I can tell you is it's a real gem.

Totally agree here with getting another 8x32 SV to keep you both content.
But, if you must have something a little different then I say get the 10x32 since you and your wife already prefer the 32mm size.
I have no experience with the 10x32 SV, but heard only very good things about it.

Last edited:
Or you could just go larger aperture and get the extra mag in the 12X50.

Andy W.
Andy. That is not a bad idea. I recently tried a 12x50 in a Vortex Viper HD and it surprised me how hand holdable they are and they give you more punch than a 10x. I have never had a 12x before. You can REALLY see detail with the added benefit of having a good astro binocular. You have both the UV and the SV in a 12x50? Which one do you prefer?

Last edited:
Welcome Mike,

I re-read your post because some of the recommendations don`t seem to fit with your question, you want a second pair costing no more than the pair you have, but want a different format, possibly a larger objective.

Lee and Chuck are spot on, but for my money I`d propose an 8.5x42 SV, I have this pairing and they complement each other superbly, I understand you can`t justify the extra cost of a new or demo SV, but maybe you would consider a good used example, given Swaro`s customer care there should be no risk taking this path.

John.

I definitely couldn't hold a 12x steady, but Dick Forsman (who's a bird of prey expert) is very impressed by the Swaro 12x50 EL SV.
You might be surprised. I always thought I could never hold a 12x steady but I recently tried a 12x50 and actually I think I can hold it as steady as a 10x plus you get more detail. The SV 12x50 is very well balanced and many say they can hand hold it. Try a 12x sometime.

Thanks everyone so far. I'm a bit surprised that there is totally no love for the 10x32's. Wondering if that is because people have tried & found them inferior or just because they're a 10x32 & the EP is < 4? When I tried them albeit in controlled conditions for a very short time, I found them lacking very little against the 10x42EL, and did have notable wider FOV.

Anything above a 42mm objective is off the board, but a used set of 8.5x42EL or 10x42EL's is certainly a consideration if I could find a good used set at a fair price. Any recommendations on best source for quality used optics.

Otherwise I'll likely go with a 10x42SLC or just take my chance with a 10x32. Yet there is still a little bird whispering in my ear, "you still need a nice set of compacts, even with their limitations" :)

I recently tried a 10x32 SV and they really impressed me. If you like the small size and weight of the 8x32 SV they would be a good choice. I do like the idea of having a matching set of 32mm SV's. Again you could trade off with your wife when you wanted either a bigger FOV or more magnification. I bet your wife is going to like the 10x32 SV's better than the 10x42 SV's because of their smaller size and weight.

I would buy another Swarovski 8x32. They are outstanding and give up very little to the bigger models. If size and weight are a key factor then the 8x32 wins hands down for me.

You might be surprised. I always thought I could never hold a 12x steady but I recently tried a 12x50 and actually I think I can hold it as steady as a 10x plus you get more detail. The SV 12x50 is very well balanced and many say they can hand hold it. Try a 12x sometime.
The chance to try one isn't very likely to arise Denis, but if it does I'll certainly do that. I'm curious about the 12x50, having seen what DF says in that link, and now what you say.

Hello,

I think the 10x32 binoculars are clearly underestimated!
I've been on a 10x32 conquest for about 2 years now and I do not have any problems with the look even though I'm wearing glasses!
The smaller size, lower weight and larger field of view also offer some advantages over a 10x42.
I think, the Swarovski EL 10x32 is visually even better than the big brother of the 10x42.
The EL 10x32 is visually one of the best 10x, if not the best 10x I've looked through, a terrific glass, definitely worth a try.

Andreas

Chuck and Ceasar ideas are good ones. The CL 8x30 is a very good binocular and the 10x42 SLC is a top level binocular as Chuck says but as Pileatus said in his post the Swarovisions are in a unique class. Neither of these other two binoculars will give you the perfect edges and easy walk-in view of the Swarovision's and I am afraid if you are used to that on your 8x32 SV you will miss it. I know I have switched to other binoculars and I would start missing the view of the Swarovision and you say they WOW you so why would you change? Either get another 8x32 SV or if you want 10x get the 10x42 SV for you and give your wife the 8x32 SV. Females with smaller hands love the SV 8x32.

I don't think most will miss the SV view compared to the SLC view. I even used the SLC 8X42 YESTERDAY....I have to say the view is certainly among the best. Add to that the larger EP of the 42mm, perhaps slightly higher light transmission of the SLC platform, AND lower price than an SV....it think the SLC would certainly be a viable choice. Certainly the American Redstarts, yellow-billed cuckoos, Nashville warbler, and Magnolia warbler, et al yesterday sure looked vibrant even with not the best light conditions. I'd have no issues if this were my only Swarovski or even my only binocular.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back