• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x30-32 discussion. (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Swarovski has had 4 different models of these sizes over the years.

The Habicht porro, SLC, CL and the EL.

Which ones are your favorites, and why ?

I have a photo of all 4, in no particular order.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1277.JPG
    DSCN1277.JPG
    439.7 KB · Views: 386
Jerry,

Never been around the Habicht. Given that - the Swaro EL 10x30 WB!!! It was my first really good binocular. The 8x32 EL WB never seemed to shine as well for me, and the 8x32 EL Swarovision was glare prone for me. The SLC which may have been referred to as a Neu (?sp) never had appeal as well as the first version of the CL. Second version of the CL is pretty decent.

By the way, what is a Habicht? Sounds like a nagging nasty ol' lady???? |8(|

CG

Last edited:
Habicht is the name of one of the tallest mountain peaks in the Tyrol Alps of Austria.
So Habicht means at a high level.

Jerry

Habicht is the name of one of the tallest mountain peaks in the Tyrol Alps of Austria.

Jerry

Thanks, think I better learn how to pronounce this; I keep putting the "t" in the wrong place. :bounce:

CG

Last edited:
I have had the Habicht 8x30 W, older CL 8x30 and the new CL 8x30. I have not owned the SLC 8x30. I sold the Habicht 8x30 W because of bad veiling glare. The older CL 8x30 was a very good binocular but the new CL 8x30 is quite a bit better with easier eye placement and a bigger FOV. IMO the Swarovski SV 8x32 is easily the best of the bunch and it should be at twice the price of the others. I have no problem with glare with the SV. I think it it the best all around 32mm binocular for birding with it's big walk-in FOV, brigthness, good contrast and sharp edges it performs way beyond it's small size.

Last edited:

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Swarovski means not the mountain in Tirol and not a high level...but...

Habicht profile
Scientific name: Accipiter gentilis
English name: Goshawk
Spanish name: Azor
French name: Autour des palombes
Italian name: Astore
Family: Hawkweed (Acciptridae)
Genus: Hawks and Sparrowhawks (Accipiter)
Distribution: Europe, subspecies in Asia, Africa, America, Australia
Habitat: Cultivated landscapes with large trees, forests (coniferous trees, deciduous trees), parks, cemeteries, cities
Size: females: 62 cm, males 45 cm
Weight: females 1400g, males 650g
Wing span: 130 cm
Beak: Under beak form
Mating season: February - April
Brood: 1 year brood
Breeding season: March to May
Breeding ground: tree
Number of eggs: 2-4 (5)
Breeding period: 38 days
Nestling period: 42 days
Food: birds, small mammals, breeding chickens
Migratory bird: Yes / in Germany stand bird
List of enemies: infectious diseases, weather, parasites, eagle owl, human, raven, crows, birds of prey, raccoon, marten.

Andreas

.....or....''hawk'', like what is on every Swaro bino...

There is a Mt. Habicht in Austria = Hawk Mountain

Hi James,

Worth knowing: The name Habicht should have nothing to do with the appearance of the mountain. Rather, the term comes from "Hoager" (Hagen or heigen), which means "mow the mountain meadow", the Bergmahd so.;)

Andreas

Wow...and all this time I thought it was a name for an Austrian binocular...you just never know! :eek!: :-O

Thanks all for setting the record straight!! B :) 3:)

Oh yes Jerry, has to be the EL 8X32 SV (ticks the most boxes)!!! :cool:

Ted

Last edited:
I got to briefly try the newest CL companion and found it very impressive; I wasn't too fond of the original. I liked the SV, but the glare was very problematic in almost any level of sunlight, and so I had to sell it; if that glare were not present I'd probably still own them as they were bright, had very easy eye placement, little CA, and exceptional sharpness across the entire FoV. The SLC I have only briefly seen in the field; it seemed good but not exceptional compared to some of the newer mid-range binoculars, less bright and more prone to CA. The habicht I have not seen.

Condomat, posts 8 and 9,
According to the Swarovski archives the name Habicht for the Habicht binoculars comes from the Habicht mountain and it is a nice coincidence that it also refers to a bird.
Gijs van Ginkel

Condomat, posts 8 and 9,
According to the Swarovski archives the name Habicht for the Habicht binoculars comes from the Habicht mountain and it is a nice coincidence that it also refers to a bird.
Gijs van Ginkel

A nice coincidence that it refers to a bird, it also refers to a hawk which is the bird on Swaro binos. Perhaps whoever chose the hawk emblem was having a bit of fun with the name 'Habicht'.

Lee

]Lee, post 13,
The person at Swarovski who invented the name Habicht for their binoculars unfortunately seems to be dead and as yet I was not able to consult him.
Gijs van Ginkel

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee, post 13,
The person at Swarovski who invented the name Habicht for their binoculars unfortunately seems to be dead and as yet I was not able to consult him.
Gijs van Ginkel

And I hope it will be many, mamy years before you meet him face to face and ask him about this. :t:

Lee

Condomat, posts 8 and 9,
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello Gijs,

Please do not CONDOMAT, with the condoms my nickname has nothing to do, rather with an American instrument company, which unfortunately went bankrupt!

If the "inventor" of the name "Habicht" is death, he probably buried the secret ...

Andreas

Andreas, post 17,
I am sorry, but I had not confused your name with the anti-conception instruments you refer to, but I mistyped it. I promise never to do that again.
The inventor of the Habicht received a prominent palce in the Swarovski history as far as I know, so I do not think the family will start a research project into that matter (Swarovski is still a family business as you undoubtedly know).
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello Gijs,

Since you understand a lot more about binoculars than I suspect their assumption that the name "Habicht" refers to the mountain, is probably correct, so I apologize for my inadmissible submissions.
But after all, our English-speaking friends have learned that "Habicht" is not a nagging nasty old lady, but just a bird of prey.

bedankt en tot straks,
Andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back