• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 7x42 SL (1 Viewer)

Tomly

I’ve become enamoured by the idea of a 7x42 porro and came across a pair of Habicht 7x42 SL porros for sale. The asking price is about $900 which seems steep to me when a preowned Nikon E2 can be had for hundreds less. Perhaps, I have a misaligned sense of porro:roof cost ratio. I’ve been trying to research these binoculars - but can’t find a great deal of information.

Can anyone shed some light on these porros? Do they really command the price of a decent - and more modern - pair of roofs?

Clifton cameras are selling a new 7x42 Swarovski Porro for £649 possibly less 10% and including 20% VAT.

So $900 secondhand seems too much.

Or perhaps it is $900 new, which may be O.K.

P.S.
At $1.28 to £1 it may be about $620 without VAT at Cliftons, so $900 is too much even new.

Last edited:
I used various SL Porros back in the 1980s, including the 7x42. It was optically nearly identical to the 7x42 Swarovski Traditional Porro (Habicht Porro now), but with higher light transmission and more accurate color compared to Traditionals of the time from a better multicoating and fewer glass to air surfaces. It has some serious quirks including short effective eye relief combined with non-adjustable/non-removable hard rubber eyecups and a very rough and slow focuser with a small knob inconveniently placed at the front of the prism housing. FOV is very narrow at 6.5º and close focus is about 12'. Still I'd be tempted to buy a pair if the condition was good and the price was right. IMO that would be around $300-400 for a binocular that I bought new for about $400 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. I like that big 7x42 exit pupil and have a fondness for porros - but doesn’t look like these are the pair. I wish 7x42 was more common.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back