• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk type, and warbler type - S Florida (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

I've got a couple shots I was hoping some might help me verify the ID from this past weekend...both shot in the Delray Beach area on the SE coast of Florida.

1. Some kind of warbler - had small yellow patches ahead of the wing that made me think yellow-rumped, but had a very brown head that is throwing me off:
https://g4.img-dpreview.com/DAA9E5F04AA446B7BF67DDF209F7D797.jpg

2. I know telling a cooper's from a sharp-shinned is not easy, especially if the bird is sleeping and won't take his head out of his feathers! This one was napping just 30 feet from me, and no noises seemed to wake him...so I never got a look at the face. My early thinking was cooper's, but the leg and feet seemed awfully skinny - and it was hard to judge his size - if I had to guess, I'd say he seemed about 10-12 inches tall:
https://g1.img-dpreview.com/D68E6C058C4B41A581EFC8292515876F.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Very difficult to ID the night-heron (black-crowned vs yellow- ) from this angle. Can't see the bill, can hardly see the spots on the wings. I'm leaning toward black-crowned because (a) I don't see pale stripes on the feather edges and (b) the feathers on the leg extend low enough to cover the knee. But if you have any other photos, that would be a big help.

Unfortunately no other photos. I honestly never even thought about heron - with the head hidden, all I saw was that skinny yellow leg, which looked way too skinny for a heron, so I immediately went to hawk of some type. We have both yellow-crowned and black-crowned here, though this time of year, black-crowned are much more prevalent.
Thank you on the warbler too - sounds like I was guessing right.

Juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron -- large white tips to wing coverts and scapulars (the shape of those tips also rule out accipiters, and the streaks on the undertail coverts rule out Cooper's and Sharp-shinned)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back