• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 5000 (1 Viewer)

mcapper

Recent posts suggest that people are using the Coolpix 5000 for digiscoping.

Is this any good and would it attach to a Diascope with a standard adaptor?

I am having 'discussions' with my partner about 'my' choice of the 4500. We want a digital camera for both general and digiscoping use. She thinks its ugly and doesn't handle well. The 5000 might be a(n admitedly more expensive) compromise.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Matthew :news:

mcapper said:
Recent posts suggest that people are using the Coolpix 5000 for digiscoping.

Is this any good and would it attach to a Diascope with a standard adaptor?

I went from a CP995 to a CP5000. I've never used a CP4500.

The CP5000's biggest advantage is 5MP vs. 4MP - which frankly isn't a huge difference. However, the difference between 3MP and 5MP is. This is one of the main reasons I went with the CP5000 as an upgrade from the CP995.

The biggest negative of the CP5000 is that its zoom lens leans heavily toward the wide angle (28-85mm 35mm equivalence). This means that it is more difficult to get an unvignetted view or to use a wide range of camera's zoom. Eyepieces with an AFOV of around 40 degrees give a usable camera zoom of around 16mm to 21.4mm. However, with the 20-60x "S" Swaro eyepiece, I can get an unvignetted view from 20x to 60x. I just have to keep the camera near its full zoom position.

A better solution is probably a 30X eyepiece with a wider AFOV. But a 30X fixed eyepiece takes away the flexibility of having the zoom eyepiece when you are using the scope without the camera.

I also like the CP5000's articulating LCD screen which is more versatile in its swivel angles than the CP4500's one axis tilt. The LCD is also slightly larger. Nikon makes the MB5000 battery pack/grip for the camera which allows you to power the camera with 6 NiMh batteries. I haven't used one, but intend to get one. I understand you can use the camera for many hours on one set of batteries. I like the hotshoe as well as I use it as the mounting point for my cable release. This is much handier than the "shelf bracket" release I made for my CP995.

As for use with the Diascope, I can only speculate. The CP5000, CP99X and CP4500 all have similar eye relief needs of around 17-18mm. So make sure that your eyepiece offers something very close to or greater than that. Adapters that work well for the CP99X and CP4500 should also work fine with the CP5000. You just need to also buy the UR-E6 adapter (around $15 US) to provide the CP5000 with the needed 28mm threads.

The CP5000 is one of the best (perhaps "the" best) digital cameras for wide angle photography. So if you like to get close to your subject, this is a bonus. However, if you find yourself liking a moderate telephoto and often have your subject some distance away, the longer reach of a CP4500 would be better. The CP4500 also makes better use of the excellent 2X and 3X extenders from Nikon.

I hope this helps. Visit my website if you want to see some of the images I have taken with the CP5000. Most images taken since February of this year were taken with this camera. I take the CP995 along for closer shots.

Oh - many people absolutely love the CP5000's battery pack/grip. It provides additional shutter release buttons for portrait mode and makes the camera a bit less petite for folks with larger hands. Personally, I find that both the CP995 and CP5000 handle quite well and I would assume the CP4500 would also be good.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back