• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roseate Terns at Amble? (1 Viewer)

Captain_of_Crunch

YVdpep_re64
I am planning on travelling between London and Edinburgh next week, and was wondering how easy the Roseate Terns are to see at Amble. Do they regularly roost on the shore close to Coquet?

With a very good scope you can pick them out on Coquet Island from the dunes off Links Road Hauxley. You are better off going on the boat trip though, booking essential. Roger

I saw a few in a large high tide roost of Terns at Budle Point in August last year. Parked on the road to the golf course near Bamburgh and walked west along the beach. Scope essential. Hopefully Nutcracker will spot this and weight in, he's very good for all things Northumberland and may well be able to suggest better sites and strategies.

A couple of tecord shots from Budle Point last year, including a very heavy crop!

Attachments

• attachmentB5J7XOJ8.jpg
    attachmentB5J7XOJ8.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 21
  • attachmentH7EXHPWM.jpg
    attachmentH7EXHPWM.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 38
Agree the best is to go on one of the boat trips - the ideal is a late afternoon trip in the few days after a new or full moon (i.e., spring tides), as then the boat goes closer in to the island. At low tides, the rock shelf off the island stops the boat from getting close in, and views are distant.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back