• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding with a Face Mask? (1 Viewer)

neil calabro

Hi everybody,
Has anybody come up with any solutions to the problem of eyeglasses fogging up while birding in a mask? I tried pushing my mask just up under the nose pads on my eyeglasses. That limits the fogging but seems to make it hard for me to properly focus my eyes using a telescope or binoculars because the eyeglasses are pushed out of line. (I wear bifocals.) Help?!?!

Can you use binoculars/scope without glasses (ie focus differently)?

I know glasses and masks are a bit of a pain otherwise (have to use both when in the supermarket).

Hello,

The BBC suggested pulling the mask high on your nose, and placing the eyeglasses on the mask.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Fit the mask as snugly to your nose as possible - shape the stiffening rod in the top of the mask as closely to your nose as you can. That reduces the amount of warm steamy air that escapes upwards towards the optics, with most of the air going out sideways.

Hi everybody,
Has anybody come up with any solutions to the problem of eyeglasses fogging up while birding in a mask? I tried pushing my mask just up under the nose pads on my eyeglasses. That limits the fogging but seems to make it hard for me to properly focus my eyes using a telescope or binoculars because the eyeglasses are pushed out of line. (I wear bifocals.) Help?!?!

Surely unless you are Birding indoors or in close proximity to others a mask is not needed. A breezy day outside is probably the safest place you can be with regards to catching COVID. If you are concerned that you have symptoms then I would suggest not Birding at all, even with a mask.

The only time I have worn a mask Birding is when briefly going into a large hide/blind that already had 1 or two people inside. Even then I kept at least 8’ away and the slats were all open, enabling a very healthy airflow.

The requirements might be different where you live, as some countries require masks outdoors too. Here it is only required in certain indoor settings, though personally I keep away from people as much as possible.

Hi everybody,
The best thing to do is find a mask that works with glasses. I am aware that is easier said than done!

I have some PF2 masks which have a "nose pad" which hardly ever make my glasses fog up. In contrast, the cheap "single use" masks lead to constant fogging up. If for some reason I'd need to wear a mask while birding (I don't think measures will become that draconian where I live), I know which mask to use...

Hello Bismarck H,

Urban bird watchers may be required to wear masks in public and private gardens. I certainly am.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

If you are concerned that you have symptoms then I would suggest not Birding at all, even with a mask.

Never mind suggesting...you should damn well isolate and apply to be tested!!!!

Depending on what type of mask you have I have found that by wearing two at once I have one that really covers my nose and the other tucks under my chin. Glasses don't steam up and I can still breathe comfortably.

Personally I would not share a hide with other people, particularly strangers. Our local RSPB reserve has kept them shut but I believe others in the country haven't.

I wouldn't think you would need to wear a mask while Birding unless what Bismarck Honeyeater said if in a hide.

I wear a mask most of the time, live with vulnerable people so cannot risk it, barely go out as it is but went birding yesterday....Some people still do not believe but it is up to them. If masks did not work nurses would not be wearing them.. So I keep mine on and I am in one of the safest Counties in the UK (if there are any safe places).

Last edited:
Hi

I also had trouble. I found that with a disposable mask it pushed my varifocals up too much and I lost the focus point!

I found a cloth mask which had folds like the disposable ones, not the more fixed ones, much better.

Bear in mind that nobody has to wear a mask if they do not wish to...

Reasons cited are if it causes you distress, discomfort or you are on meds.

Other reasons could be if you do not believe in the efficacy of them or the Government’s interpretation of one-sided medical and scientific bias...

There are no ‘laws’ regarding masks only guidelines.

These guidelines can easily become ‘rules’ should an establishment require them to be worn on their premises i.e. pubs.

I have no problem with people wishing to wear them and kowtow to Government diktat but i keep my thoughts to myself.

People choosing to wear masks, birding or otherwise, should do likewise as an eye-narrowing scowl from them could trigger and a challenge as to why you are not wearing one, for me, is a gauntlet being dropped.

No reason has to be given nor should. Perhaps to a Copper and probably to a Judge. It is your business should you choose not to wear one - not anybody else’s.

I have been birding and cycling, as usual, since the March ‘outbreak’. 20-30 miles a day is the norm. Plenty of Vitamin D, a couple of self-found local rarities, only one puncture and no tell-tale spotty/rash face through breathing in expended Carbon Dioxide.....something we are designed to get rid of.....

Good birding - with or without a face nappy;)

Laurie:t:

Bear in mind that nobody has to wear a mask if they do not wish to...

Reasons cited are if it causes you distress, discomfort or you are on meds.

Other reasons could be if you do not believe in the efficacy of them or the Government’s interpretation of one-sided medical and scientific bias...

There are no ‘laws’ regarding masks only guidelines.

These guidelines can easily become ‘rules’ should an establishment require them to be worn on their premises i.e. pubs.

I have no problem with people wishing to wear them and kowtow to Government diktat but i keep my thoughts to myself.

People choosing to wear masks, birding or otherwise, should do likewise as an eye-narrowing scowl from them could trigger and a challenge as to why you are not wearing one, for me, is a gauntlet being dropped.

No reason has to be given nor should. Perhaps to a Copper and probably to a Judge. It is your business should you choose not to wear one - not anybody else’s.

I have been birding and cycling, as usual, since the March ‘outbreak’. 20-30 miles a day is the norm. Plenty of Vitamin D, a couple of self-found local rarities, only one puncture and no tell-tale spotty/rash face through breathing in expended Carbon Dioxide.....something we are designed to get rid of.....

Good birding - with or without a face nappy;)

Laurie:t:

Crumbs ;)

If the government/scientists suggested you wore shoes I presume you would refuse to wear them. I'm guessing you don't wear a cycle helmet either.

Face masks are only aimed at/designed to impede the spread of the virus (spread through airborne particles) in areas where people are mixing. They aren't magic.

I wore my mask the other day, it was -10 (wc -16) my glasses fogged but didn't freeze, moving them to a different position on my nose got rid of most of the fogging, allowing the wind to clear them.

When winter gets here and you cover your mouth and nose with a scarf or neck warmer I'll still more than likely wear a mask under it. The "warmer" won't filter your breath, it does ice up from the moisture from your breath. Which to me means droplets are getting through. I'm sure when it does get cold we'll hear what is best.

Take care everyone and be responsible.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back