• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anthus trivialis or hodgsoni? Baltic Coast. NW Poland (1 Viewer)

Ryszard

Hi
A bird the size of pipit, flew on West, on October 12, 2020. I only recorded one call.

Attachments

• 201012_1335_Segment_0 (1).mp3
    143.1 KB · Views: 92
It doesn't really sound buzzy enough for a "tree pipit". Why not A. cervinus?

Unfortunately the sonogram looks too blurry for me to check for modulations.

It doesn't really sound buzzy enough for a "tree pipit". Why not A. cervinus?

Unfortunately the sonogram looks too blurry for me to check for modulations.

I don't think it sounds right for Red-throated Pipit (cervinus), though it can be difficult to judge single calls from less clear recordings. It sounds too modulated to my ear, and therefore in the ballpark of a Tree or Olive-backed Pipit. Regrettably, due to some degree of overlap in these buzzing calls, and as you say that you generated a sonogram and it was unclear, I wouldn't like to proceed further.

It is a pity that this bird didn't give any audible sip type calls, those of Tree being noticeably lower in pitch than the equivalent in Olive-backed. Living in migrant-impoverished Ireland, I lack the regular exposure to Tree Pipit that most European birders can easily attain, though I do know that these calls, if given, are very useful.
Regards,
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back