• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

Trap is on again, has been last few nights.

Met Office weather for Falmouth says it is currently 12C, 10C by midnight, and dropping to 8C by dawn. Put two thermometers out, both currently say 6C! Oh well ... we'll see.

14/10. First night of trapping after two nights of rain. About 5 or 6C out there. Original forecast was dry but rain at 23:45 so stopped. After almost 5 hours 3 moths! Beaded Chestnut, Black Rustic and new for the garden a Yellow-line Quaker. The latter I had to chase around the patio for several minutes before catching it.

Trap is on again, has been last few nights.

Met Office weather for Falmouth says it is currently 12C, 10C by midnight, and dropping to 8C by dawn. Put two thermometers out, both currently say 6C! Oh well ... we'll see.

Temp was 3C on both this am - one is a min and max gauge. We're 4 or 5 miles inland and 130m above sea level - Falmouth is on the coast so 0m +

Last night 14th Oct - 14 of 7.

Merveille de Jour - 1, on outside at 9pm, not there in morning
SHCharacter - 2
Feathered Ranunculus - 1
Black Rustic - 2
Large Yellow Underwing -2
Lunar Underwing - 3
Beaded Chestnut - 3

Last edited:
Two new moths for me overnight, a Red-line Quaker that I potted off the back wall last night and a Brindled Green in the trap this morning. Also 4 Common Marbled Carpets, 3 November Moths agg (is there ever any way of clinching any of them, or are they all best left as aggregates), and singles of Angle Shades, Barred & Pink-barred Sallow and Red-green Carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_7631.JPG
    IMG_7631.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7549.JPG
    IMG_7549.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7527.JPG
    IMG_7527.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7671.JPG
    IMG_7671.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7684.JPG
    IMG_7684.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 22
Two new moths for me overnight, a Red-line Quaker that I potted off the back wall last night and a Brindled Green in the trap this morning. Also 4 Common Marbled Carpets, 3 November Moths agg (is there ever any way of clinching any of them, or are they all best left as aggregates), and singles of Angle Shades, Barred & Pink-barred Sallow and Red-green Carpet.

From what I can make out, no, which seems a shame.

https://www.norfolkmoths.co.uk/index.php?bf=17990&abh=70.106&next=yes

Scroll through on 'next' for them all.

November Moths -This from my county recorder -

It is quite impossible to separate November Moth from Pale November Moth on the basis of wing pattern, position of discal spot or whatever. Both species have identical forms and there is considerable variation within the rather restricted theme. If we are going to name them at all then we may as well get it right!

Proper dissection is not necessary. Simply use an artist’s brush to brush away the scales on the tip of the abdomen, on the underside, to render visible the last abdominal segment. This is adorned with two spines on the rear edge and the position of these, with care, is diagnostic. If there are no such spines, the moth is either a female [ID not possible] or something quite different that you have wrongly identified. Look at the dissection website at https://mothdissection.co.uk/ and select “macro moths” then “Geometridae”. The list has scientific and English names in separate columns and you can also arrange the lists alphabetically if you wish. Once you have reached either “November Moth” or “Epirrita” there is a comparison image which shows the differences clearly.

Macro moths reported on this thread this month -

1. Pale Mottled Willow
Common Marbled Carpet
Snout
Barred Sallow
Garden Carpet
Red-green Carpet
Brimstone
Lunar Underwing
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Green-brindled Crescent
11. Black Rustic
Setaceous Hebrew Character
Square Spot Rustic
Large Yellow Underwing
Mallow
Lesser Yellow Underwing
Autumnal Rustic
Feathered Ranunculus
Beaded Chestnut
Spruce Carpet
21. Dark Swordgrass
Chestnut
Gem
Merveille du Jour
Grey Shoulder-knot
Turnip Moth
Light Emerald
Hummingbird Hawk-moth
Rosy Rustic
Blair's Shoulder-knot
31. Deep-brown Dart
Willow Beauty
Juniper Carpet
November Moth agg
Figure of Eight
Yellow-line Quaker
Red-line Quaker
Angle Shades
39. Pink-barred Sallow

Showers forecast last night but I trapped anyway. It poured down at 9pm but I left the trap running until 6am. 27 of 9 my reward. 8 Beaded Chestnut, 4 Chestnut, 3 each of Black Rustic, Green-brindled Crescent and Barred Sallow, 2 Angle Shades and Yellow-line Quaker (NFY), a Sallow and a Brown-spot Pinion( new for October list above).
Its rained again today, that makes 24 consecutive days, I'm getting sick of it now.

Silver Y to add to Dan's list this morning. Also three each of Common Marbled & Red-green Carpets and November Moth aggs (two are in the fridge for closer inspection after work), two Spruce Carpets and singles of Black Rustic and Red-line Quaker.

You guys obviously did better than me. I trapped from 19:00 till 23.45 again when it started to rain. I had 2 moths Merveille du Jour and Yellow-line Quaker. At least I thought I had 2 but found a Black Rustic on the kitchen floor this morning so it must have followed me in at some point during the evening. It was very cold again.

The up from Sept 15th was getting some gen dets back yesterday on 4 micros. Three were new for the garden so that moved me on to 416. A fifth turned out to be a micro-Caddisfly, that really looked like a micro moth, called Oxyetheria falcata (they have pictures in NatureSpot website for those who want to see one). I was oblivious to their existence.

Thermometer said 2.5C, it does feel quite cold out there. Still moths though.

Lunar Underwing 4
Beaded Chestnut 2
Black Rustic 2
Feathered Ranunculus 1
Merveille de Jour 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
L-album Wainscot 1 (worn, new for October)

Last edited:
Had to scrape my car windscreen this morning, says it all really, but two moths in the trap: Black Rustic and Red-line Quaker, both NFY.

John

Simply use an artist’s brush to brush away the scales on the tip of the abdomen, on the underside, to render visible the last abdominal segment. This is adorned with two spines on the rear edge and the position of these, with care, is diagnostic.

I had a go. I was not proficient, let's just leave it at that.

16/10. Trapped till 00:30 and the rain set in, using both traps. 26 moths of 13 species, biggest count of the month. Red-green Carpet, 3 Barred Sallow, 3 Merveille du Jour, 3 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 2 Yellow-line Quaker, 2 Black Rustic, Green-brindled Crescent f. capucina, 3 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 4 Beaded Chestnut, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Lunar Underwing, Chestnut and November Moth agg.
Nice to get a reasonable number for a change and offers a bit of hope for the next few nights.
The actinic pulled in more than the MV but it could just be positioning that made the difference.

Reasonable here too - 23 of 9

Lunar Underwing 9 (Including one with unusually dark hindwing)
Black Rustic 4
Beaded Chestnut 3
Merveille de Jour 2
Garden Carpet 1
Large Yellow Underwing 1
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1
Red-line Quaker 1 NFG
Pug sp. 1 (think DS Pug most likely, but will check it out)

Lot of size variation in the Beaded Chestnuts too.

Other recent sightings -

Hummingbird Hawk-moth in Porthleven yesterday where I was working in someone's garden, and a fully grown Fox Moth caterpillar feeding on Blackthorn on the 14th at mine.

Feathered Thorn to add to Dan's list from last night, a tick for me along with Yellow-line Quaker (two of) and what I'm pretty sure is a Chestnut. Also Figure of Eight, Satellite, Barred Sallow, three Red-line Quakers, a rather tatty Copper Underwing, Silver Y and Garden and two Red-green Carpets.

Attachments

• IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7839.JPG
    IMG_7839.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7876.JPG
    IMG_7876.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7774.JPG
    IMG_7774.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 18
Feathered Thorn to add to Dan's list from last night, a tick for me along with Yellow-line Quaker (two of) and what I'm pretty sure is a Chestnut. Also Figure of Eight, Satellite, Barred Sallow, three Red-line Quakers, a rather tatty Copper Underwing, Silver Y and Garden and two Red-green Carpets.

Looks good, doesn't it. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back