• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiloe Wigeons & id? (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi All,
Today I went to Cosmeston Lakes hoping to find a HummingB'hawkMoth that had been reported yesterday.
The report was about a Wryneck, but I'm always grateful when people take the time to include other species.
I looked in the area I first spotted one a couple of years ago, but had no luck today.
As Cosmeston is a lake area with numerous Birds, I will just mention some highlights.
I arrived early this morning and was suprised to see & hear a Woodcock that must have been alarmed by something.
I have heard them a few times at night since the Nightjar walk with Luke but never during the day.

I was disappointed to see people walking their dogs through the conservation area dispite the notices and several alternative dog routes.

I stopped for backpack breakfast and listened to ChiffChaffs (yes I heard them today Ruth! lol!) Willow Warblers and several other species. In the distance a juv Dabchick was making a right old racket!
My highlight was a ringed Great Tit that kept me company. Lovely!
I walked for a couple of hours hoping the warmth would produce the H'Moth but apart from a few S'Wood & a L'White the area was quiet.
A Kingfisher flashed passed as I watched a Buzzard circling above.

On my way back, a couple of wardens working at the Dragonfly pond suddenly took off toward the lake on hearing a report of 2 Chiloe Wigeons they returned empty handed, but I saw the Birds later & went back to let them know the location. Aren't they handsome?
As the heavens opened & a huge clap of thunder caused the swans to scatter & honk loudly, I headed for the car.

I drove a couple of miles up the road to Penarth for a backpack lunch overlooking the coast.
A low flying bird about the size of a Curlew caught my eye & I quickly managed a shot of it. Is it a Parakeet? I've not heard of them in my area so your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Bye for now folks.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi Pie, it is a parakeet. They do seem to move around a bit, not too long ago they had been reported in Leeds though they may only have been a pair. I have noticed sightings in other regions too but never seen them myself.
Chris.

Looks like a Parakeet to me too, Sue. Not seen any here yet, but they were reported in the SE of Dorset earlier in the week. We saw quite a lot in Bucks, but that was over 10 years ago.

Hi Chris and Wendy,
Well blow me down! I checked the Glam Bird site's and no one has mentioned a Parakeet.
I'm sure I read something about them having bad press when they made it on to the UK list, or was it something Bill Oddie said. Anyway, I will tick it but not rave about it (just in case) Lol!
Thanks for the confirmation both

What a great day you have had, Pie! Pity about the H'moth but you still had some great sights and sounds! The Chiloe Wigeons are indeed handsome..well done, bet you were well chuffed with them!
A few years ago I saw a pair of Parakeets at RSPB Sandwell Valley, I don't know if they are still about though. A nice bird to see..different.

Thanks for another lovely read!:t:

Glad to hear that you too heard a Chiffchaff Sue! :t:
That's definitely a Parakeet.....good shot too,well done!
And those Chiloe Wigeons are so beautiful aren't they?
We dipped on a Black Tern this morning but saw 20+ Snipe,a Ruff,a Greenshank and 50+ Grey Lags so not a bad AM! 8-P

theres not alot of birders with Ring necked Parakeet on the their welsh list! there has been one hanging around lavernock for a while though.

Sounds like you had a good day Ruth, shame about the Black Tern. When I heard the CC's after saying I'd not heard them for a while, I decided to apply this theory to other species & see what happens. Here goes..."Ive not seen a Spotted Flycatcher this year Ruth" ;)
Thanks Kits, :t:
Sounds like it was the Lavernock Bird Luke, It was a nice unusual suprise, just hope they don't take over our parks! :eek!:
Thanks for your comments all.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back