• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stephen of Blackpool (1 Viewer)

bolton45

Stephen, myself and a mate are travelling to Marton Mere on Thursday 11 March. Appreciate any directions you could give me to locate the Owls. Are they only in one certain place? Thanks for any help you could give me.

I guess this must be me!

This was on another thread but I don't know how to x-ref. They are in one place, but can be viewed inside and outside the reserve, and you can't see them all from either side. The easiest way to find them if nobody is about is to get to the north eastern corner of the reserve behind the island. Follow the path that leads out of the reserve to the corner of the golf course. Turn left and head towards the hotel with the reserve on your left. After about 100 yards the golf course disappears from view because of a small 'spoil' heap which has now grassed over. There is a hawthorn bush on the spoil, stop just before this and look into the scrub on your left.

The warden's hut is at the western end of the reserve, if he is around I am sure he would be happy to make sure you saw them.

Of course at some point in the not too near future these birds should be on their way, though there have been exceptional records as late as the beginning of May in the past.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back