• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to build a moth trap... (1 Viewer)

jwaldo

I DO have an avatar! It's just in- no, wait. There
What kind of light should I use? I'm stumped. I tried the light from a bug zapper, but I couldn't connect it to the power :| I'm stumped :h?:

jwaldo said:
What kind of light should I use? I'm stumped. I tried the light from a bug zapper, but I couldn't connect it to the power :| I'm stumped :h?:

Hi jwaldo,

I'm not familiar with the design of your bug zapper, but I think you would have to remove all the electrical fittings pertaining to the operation of the bulb, i.e. bulb holders, wiring, and any voltage regulator/transformer to enable the bulb to work. All the U/K zappers I have seen use a 12 volt DC Actinic light bulb which is usually connected to the household mains supply, which here is 240v AC. Some form of voltage regulator/transformer will be necessary.

I believe your mains supply may be different from ours so I would suggest you contact your local electrician for some advice on setting up your bulb and as to what equipment you may need. If you get the electrical set up wrong it could make your hair stand on end. lol.

Harry

My main problem is that i can't seem to find a supplier of actinic lights ANYWHERE in the US, so I may need an alternative unless I find one...

jwaldo said:
My main problem is that i can't seem to find a supplier of actinic lights ANYWHERE in the US, so I may need an alternative unless I find one...

Hi jwaldo,
It may be possible that they are called something other than 'Actinic' in the USA. Try your local electrical supplier and ask him if the supplies small 12 volt tubes that emit a percentage of Ultra Violet light. Alternatively try contacting an entomological group in your area, they will be able to help you with information as to the type of bulb(s) that are used by them.

Also try contacting some of the bulb manufacturers, their sales or technical advice departments will be able to help.

Harry

I'll try that. Also, I believe I once saw a reference to actinic light in an aquarium book, so I'll look at the pet shop. The search continues...

jwaldo said:
I'll try that. Also, I believe I once saw a reference to actinic light in an aquarium book, so I'll look at the pet shop. The search continues...

Way to go jwaldo,
Don't give up. Just remember, the impossible you can do today, miracles just take a little longer. Stick at it.

Harry

Hi - old thread, but did you get an answer on this? =)

There's a gentleman I correspond with regularly in the USA who would be able to help you. Over there. they're referred to as blacklight, I believe, as oposed to over here where blacklight is a bit more specific, referring to woods-coated lights. He himself uses a custom rig made up of two 175 Watt MV bulb, four 40 Watt Quantum 365 BL, and four 350 Watt Sun Lamps, and he has been making traps for 25 or so years. He is very friendly and certainly knows his stuff - his site is at http://leptraps.com and you can order anything you need there.

Regards from England =)

Johan

surreyjohan said:
Hi - old thread, but did you get an answer on this? =)

There's a gentleman I correspond with regularly in the USA who would be able to help you. Over there. they're referred to as blacklight, I believe, as oposed to over here where blacklight is a bit more specific, referring to woods-coated lights. He himself uses a custom rig made up of two 175 Watt MV bulb, four 40 Watt Quantum 365 BL, and four 350 Watt Sun Lamps, and he has been making traps for 25 or so years. He is very friendly and certainly knows his stuff - his site is at http://leptraps.com and you can order anything you need there.

Regards from England =)

Johan
An interesting site! I was amazed to see that Leroy sells "A light stand for 1000-Watt Mercury Vapor Unit"--that should bring in the moths from some considerable distance!
Ken

Surreybirder said:
An interesting site! I was amazed to see that Leroy sells "A light stand for 1000-Watt Mercury Vapor Unit"--that should bring in the moths from some considerable distance!
Ken

With a light that powerful you may also need some good sunglasses, and a very high factor sun screen ointment. :eek!:

Harry

surreyjohan said:
1000 Watt Mercury Vapor Lamp - Clear $650.00

*faints*

That cheap, eh?. I'll take half a dozen, ;) I don't think. Just imagine the size of the light radius you would have to search in the morning, after using a bulb like that. About half a mile all around the trap. No thanks.

Harry

I'll have to check that site out :D

Seeing as I'm an astronomer, I think I'd drop dead if anyone within 10 miles turned on a 1000 watt bulb at night ;) :p

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back