• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID request: USA, Ventura County, CA: 2012 Jul 16 (1 Viewer)

I have lived in Ventura County 35 years and have never seen a green bird like this. Comparing to a robin: similar shape and about the same size but slenderer, bottom side plain dull green like some parrots (BUT IT WAS NOT A PARROT OR PARAKEET), longer tail which was slender and split. Upper wings and tail grey to dark grey. Flitting around some iceplant next to a parking lot in Camarillo at dusk. Flicked tail up and down a lot. It perched on the iceplant and a nearby chain-link fence.

I tried various online bird id sites but none came close. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

I have lived in Ventura County 35 years and have never seen a green bird like this. Comparing to a robin: similar shape and about the same size but slenderer, bottom side plain dull green like some parrots (BUT IT WAS NOT A PARROT OR PARAKEET), longer tail which was slender and split. Upper wings and tail grey to dark grey. Flitting around some iceplant next to a parking lot in Camarillo at dusk. Flicked tail up and down a lot. It perched on the iceplant and a nearby chain-link fence.

I tried various online bird id sites but none came close. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

The only birds that I can find that have green and grey cosmetics are..female Western/Summer Tanagers and the ''unmentionable'' 1st year female Crimson-collared Grosbeak! However I suspect that the behaviour you described, wouldn't suit any of these extreme possibilities.

Best of luck from another child of the '50's.

Could the green have been an artifact of the lighting conditions? Depending on the angle, the belly could have been lit only by reflection of the low angle sunlight off the ice plant. Then it could be something like a Northern Mockingbird.

Could the green have been an artifact of the lighting conditions? Depending on the angle, the belly could have been lit only by reflection of the low angle sunlight off the ice plant. Then it could be something like a Northern Mockingbird.

Wow! I have been thinking both of those thoughts. It's true that when the bird was perched on other things besides the iceplant, I couldn't see it's underside. However, when I could see the green, it was very uniform, even in flight. Also, the sun was not shining because I would have been looking directly at it. Thanks for the ideas.

The bird came back

Actually a pair of them. Dull green color everywhere except wings and tail which were dark grey. Tail thin about 1 inch wide 3 inches long and last third is split. They were foraging on the ground and catching small white moths living in the iceplant. I couldn't id wing shape since they were in flight only briefly.

The highlight was when they were joined by what appeared to be a hooded oriole (bright yellow and black) to make a colorful trio. The oriole is known to inhabit this area.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back