• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooray - The Greenfinches are Back (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Just had to tell everyone Greenfinches are back, I have missed them. 3 of them 2 feeding on sunflower hearts and 1 on the feeder seed and the Wren is eating her mealworms and the sun is shining. Male Sparrow just appeared too oh what a lovely day it is.

Happy birding to you all

Ann Chaplin

A CHAPLIN said:
Just had to tell everyone Greenfinches are back, I have missed them. 3 of them 2 feeding on sunflower hearts and 1 on the feeder seed and the Wren is eating her mealworms and the sun is shining. Male Sparrow just appeared too oh what a lovely day it is.

Happy birding to you all

Ann Chaplin

well done, i have had to look hard to see greenfinch so far this year, nice birds thought arn't they?

Ann,here is a Greenfinch pic taken on Sat,just for you.Glad the mealworms are working.

Attachments

• 300d 073.jpg
    300d 073.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 155
Ann
hate to say it but about 20-30 grefinches arrive daily at the feeders along with about a dozen goldfinches, can't get that dammed chaffinch or long tailed tits to come down to the garden from the trees in the park behind me. but never mind found a redwing in the park swanning around with the starlings

cheers geoff

Christine,

Thank you for that lovely photo. The Greenfinches didn't stay around. The Wren is still eating her mealworms, 2 Dunnocks had some as well today, thought they only ate seeds and a Female Blackbird eating porridge oats.

Has anyone lost 2 pigeons, no rings, an all white one and its pal is brown and white, they are enormous. Must be tame I actually got to touch the white one yesterday when I went out to chase them, it just sat on the trellis. Sorry I chase them I don't like feral pigeons and neither do the collared doves, pigeons arrive doves go.

I had my first greenfinches staying on the feeders last weekend. For a while the feeder looked like the ones in the RSPB catalogue - which is a first. Usually there's just the tits which grab and fly or the collared doves which stay guzzling for ages. I can't watch the birds during the week so I'll see this weekend if the greenfinches are still hanging around.

geoff hurley said:
Ann
hate to say it but about 20-30 grefinches arrive daily at the feeders along with about a dozen goldfinches, can't get that dammed chaffinch or long tailed tits to come down to the garden from the trees in the park behind me. but never mind found a redwing in the park swanning around with the starlings

cheers geoff

hi
exact opposite for me, i get loads of chaffinch and LT tits, but not many goldfinch and no greenfinch. also one evil little blue tit that chases everything else off the feeders. :C

No Andrew she doesn't take her time, she should have permanent indigestion. When the Wren first came I counted how many I put out (I don't like waste) and the numbers increased to one day she had 8 in a row, still don't know how she managed to fly. Sometimes I don't actually see her eat more than 1, then I look up and the dish is empty and she is hopping up and down on the rock for more.

Keep saying one of these days I will get one of those cameras, then I can see who has been here when. I only feed Wren when I see her, otherwise a Starling or the Male Blackbird get the lot. Must say I was surprised to see the Dunnock eating them, never seen that before.

Still no Greenfinches, not many Goldfinches either but the feeders always need topping up. Must get one of those cameras.

Only have Collared doves and Goldfinches in groups here, most birds are singles. Am I running a singles only bar?

Ann

Ann

Keith,

Thanks for that lovely photo. I love the Greenfinches but haven't seen any for a while but there were 3 on feeders tonight when I got home from work so am hoping they are back to stay for a while.

Ann

Excellent photo Keith! In fact, all of the ones on your website are fantastic!

I hope the Greenfinches stay around Ann. They're great birds and I'm very lucky to have them all year round.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back