• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding access to water company sites (1 Viewer)

Paul Pearson

Dear All

I would be grateful to hear of any examples of access arrangements, either formal or informal.

In the case of the latter, If you'ld prefer to PM me that would be fine. In the case of the former, details of the type of authorisation would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance for any info

I've checked out Sewage treatment works along the Test Valley, but never officially. Access would probably flush the birds. Scoping the beds from adjacent fields has been sufficient in these cases.
Having said that, the adjacent fields are often slightly off the public right of way too.
A likely Siberian Chiffchaff, and a Water Pipit the only highlights for me over the years.

Paul,
In the most gentle way, why are you requesting this information? Your not asking for access near you, so is this a generic request?
Seems a trifle odd, especially as you have invited members to PM you with details.

Have you considered contacting the water company about organizing a formal walk? There is a water treatment plant in my area that constructed a marsh / wetlands area where they discharge some of the treated water. The facility is locked, but once a month they open the marsh for a bird walk. A water company employee and two volunteers monitor the participants. The water company is happy to do it, and only requires that the volunteers be Audubon members.

Dear All

I would be grateful to hear of any examples of access arrangements, either formal or informal.

In the case of the latter, If you'ld prefer to PM me that would be fine. In the case of the former, details of the type of authorisation would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance for any info
The authorities allow open access to birdwatchers,and anyone else to Fisher Tarn, near Kendal.
The sign at the entrance says you need a permit but when I rang they said not, and the sign was out of date.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back