• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CRYPTIC plumage 2 (1 Viewer)

Did you ask for it to be closed? It's not your thread to decide - it's part of the community once it's going.

That's not the right way to do it ... if you wanted the other thread to end I guess it would be better to combine the two if anything.

Essentially threads very rarely if ever get locked, or deleted.

Merging them would have been a good idea.

I wondered about Jackdaw but it seemed too easy compared with all the others which have made my brain hurt!

So answers so far:

Well done Kits :clap:

8. Spotted Nutcracker
6. Nightingale ( with Welsh Peregrine, Thrush Nightingale)
7. Demoiselle Crane (I think Dan got that one too)
9. Was actually Italian Sparrow but will give you ‘Spanish’ (as my ability to count letters has proven to be sporadic and therefore unreliable ;))

Well done Essex Tern who got the Titanic reference :clap:
10. Jackdaw

So only ET’s clue to go (which Dan seems to know but won’t say!?)

So some more for this evening (ET it would help if you could post your species with all the clues again thanks)

Taking the region from the map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palearctic_realm#/media/File:Wallace03.jpg

Cryptic clues as follows:

12. WP. Shout and exclaim with pain at classic horror (12)

13. N. Minority voting trend leading to conflict before sounding unclear. (9,7)

14. N. On Day of normandy landings, Noah’s boat observed picking up what sounds like discarded rubbish at half the cost. (4-4, 5)

15. WP A 1001 night story plus last edition, for pirate of the sea . (4-6, 4)

Certainly.....

P/N: Did that bird really come running round that [highlight]hill[/highlight] wearing a [highlight]waistcoat[/highlight]!? (9)
....further hint to an element of the the clue: Ed Sheeran wrote a song about this.

And a totally different clue to the same bird:

P/N: Testing times for the young fisherman, especially having broken down last week (9)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back