• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California with emphasis of Giant Redwoods (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

which is the best time for birdwatching in California.
I am most interesting in Giant Redwoods ( e.g. Yosemite, Redwoods NP and so on ).
Suppose best place for start is from airport in San Francisco ?

Which is the best time and which places are recommended for bird watching.
I will travel with car + tent.

Best regards
Dieter

The redwoods can be visited anytime as they are coastal and the birding along the coast is good anytime, except maybe early summer when most migrants have departed. Generally speaking the redwoods aren't very birdy, but the California coast is worth travelling through where there are many species you can look at. On the other hand, Yosemite is best in early summer when breeding birds are present and the weather is favorable. The higher elevations in Yosemite (i.e. Tioga Pass) are closed until summer when the roads are reopened after the winter season. Summer comes late in the higher elevations of Yosemite so visitors are kept out until the pass can be reopened. Be sure to check the National Park seasonal closures. By contrast the Yosemite Valley floor is spectacular in scenery and bird life in summer and open almost all year. Fall is good too but many breeding birds are gone. Fall is probably the best season for birds on the coast.

Might want to also check out Sequoia and King's Canyon parks. Though it's "Yosemite" class glacial valley (Cedar Grove) doesn't match Yosemite Park's, it's much less crowded and has larger, wilder sequoia groves. Yosemite is a great park - but you might be alone in Redwood Canyon (5000 acres of sequoias) in King's Park. Just a thought.....

Hello,

thank You for the informations.
Kings Canyon sounds really good.
It said there are lots of people in Yosemite and reservation is needed ?

Which time is not too much frequented ?
My idea is June or September.
Maybe Mai is to early for camping ?
I prefer a little bit warmer climate like 25 centigrad on day an 15 centigrad during night or higher.
But for cool nights excellent sleeping are available in California.
Western Mountaineering is the top brand.
But this costs e.g. WM Apache 350 U$ in US or 380 Euro in Germany ( and maybe the same in England ).

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter. For birds I would suggest later in May or June. Both Sequoia King's Canyon and Yosemite have excellent websites. Being that they are National Parks - both have extensive campgrounds and such. I worked in Sequoia/Kings for many years but know Yosemite from dozens of visits.

As for Redwoods - I would suggest going north of SanFrancisco to Redwood National Park --- specifically the Praire Creek section. Best of the Redwoods and a high incidence of "Big Foot" sitings - for those who believe in things like that.

Back to Sequoia. There are many places (campgrounds) to stay in Sequoia/Kings that will put you at different altitudes. It'll be hard to get to the alpine regions regardless-- it being too early. Cedar Grove is a large granitic glacial valley at 4500 feet. Grant Grove and Giant Forest are mixed conifer and Sequoia at 5500 - 7500 feet. Potwisha Campground is foothills. You can see 10 species of woodpeckers.

Please don't spend 350 smackers on a sleeping bag. Rent a small car and just car-camp. I'd also recommend stopping in the Grant Grove Ranger Station and getting a permit for Redwood Canyon. All you need is a small tent, sleeping bag, and some food. Put these in your back pack and go. It's 5000 acres of birds, bears, and sequoias. Rarely visited. This and the other areas will all be in any book about Sequoia Park.

One last thing. If you do go to Sequoia - make sure you drive south and visit the Kern Preserve. It's 400 species of birds. May June is perfect.

You could honestly - get off the plane, hire a small car, go to the 1st Walmart (sorry) you see and purchase a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. All for much less than 300 dollars total. It's America. We have too much of everything - including Walmarts. Hope this helps...........chris

Would Muir Woods and that area have good birding? Nice redwoods. I was there several years ago before I became a birder.

Yosemite is certainly a great place. I was there in June 2004. It was a bit crowded and we did make reservations for camping well in advance. Saw my first and only Stellar Jay there while climbing up Yosemite Falls.

Hello,

thank You for all informations.
10 different kind of woodpeckers sounds great, we have only 7 ( but I saw only 4 of them clearly, last weekend 8 x Great Spotted Woodpecker ).
I like to travel very often with tent and sleeping bag.
My tent ( North Face Starburst ) is now after 12 years at the company for repairing.
Sleeping bag I already have one for summer ( until 15 centigrad ), one for mountain expeditions ( Western Mountaineering Puma SDL ) and one until freeze temperatures from TNF.
Last one is not so good and heavy, so I have to buy a small one with low wight ( also for weekend alpine tours ).

Best regards
Dieter

Redwood forest are awesome if there are some other trees mixed in with them. Some of the state parks just north of San Francisco are great in May and June. Samuel P. Taylor Park is a good place to start. There were Steller's Jays, Acorn Woodpeckers, Nesting Crows and quite a few birds of prey there. From here, you're not far from Stinson Beach and Point Reyes National Seashore but these may be better for birding during the winter.

If you're in Southern California, check out the mountains. In San Diego County, check out Mt. Laguna recreation area and Palomat Mountain. I've not done any birding in Riverside county. In San Bernardino Co. You should head up to the San Bernardino Mountains and in Los Angeles County, the San Gabriel Mountains are great. You don't necessarily need to hit all of these mountains, it's just that if you're ever in one of these areas, those would be the places to go.

From October till about April, the Salton Sea is one of the best places on the planet for birding! Stay away from there in the summer, not only are the numbers of birds far fewer but the heat might kill you!

Two different trees

Reading these replies, I noticed some confusion about redwoods. There are two different trees in California: the Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), and the Giant Sequoia, (Sequoiadendron Gigantea).

The Coast Redwood is found along the coast range right down to the sea from the Oregon border down to Monterey County, south of San Francisco.

The Giant Sequoia, on the other hand, is found around 4000 ft elevation in the Sierra Nevada. This is the tree you will find in Yosemite, Kings Canyon, etc.

So the two Redwoods are hundreds of miles apart, separated by the Sacramento Valley.

They are in completely different ecosystems. Both are spectacular and worth a visit. As to the birds you might find there, they will also be quite different, but you'll have to rely on somebody else for those details, since I know more about the trees than the birds. I'm a newbie bird watcher.

Enjoy your trip, and check out BOTH redwoods if you can,

Jim

Yes indeed. Notice also that both trees aren't even the same genus. There are great differences in both forests. One note - 4000 feet for the Giant Sequoia is kinda' near a lower limit. The "Heart" of it's elevational range gets higher as you get south. 6 to 7000 feet is best...........chris

Hello,

I will be in LA at 8.06. and flight back 3 weeks later from San Francisco.
Is there someone birding in this area too ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hello,

I will be in LA at 8.06. and flight back 3 weeks later from San Francisco.
Is there someone birding in this area too ?

Best regards
Dieter
___________------

Hi Dieter,

Is that August 6 or 8 June? We Americans type the month first, so I assume you are arriving in L.A. on August 6. If you come to San Francisco, there's rerdwood trees just across from the Golden Gate bridge (Muir Woods). Bolinas Lagoon and Bodega Bay (60 miles north of SF) are two good places for shorebirds.

Dennis

gvca1 is absolutely right about the two species of redwoods. I grew up in Northern California and Muir Woods and Samuel Tayor State Park were my playgrounds. The coastal species can be found throughout northern and central coastal areas. For redwoods and fantastic birding I recommend Monterey Bay. I was there last summer and wrote about my trip in the following thread, especially posts 18,27 and 36.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=94046

Coastal redwoods can be found in the Santa Cruz area at the north end of Monterey Bay , also the Big Sur area, south of Monterey Bay. You could even get lucky with a California condor around Big Sur.

Joanne

Last edited:
California

Hello,

thank You very much for all advises.
I was there in June, please find my report enclosed.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=119098

There is a lot of differenences.
08.06.2008 means 8. June 2008 in Germany, sorry for this confusing.
This time I started preparing to late, next year it will be better.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• DSC00096 Brown Pelican.JPG
    DSC00096 Brown Pelican.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00147 Great Blue Heron.JPG
    DSC00147 Great Blue Heron.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00267 Sequoia State Forest.JPG
    DSC00267 Sequoia State Forest.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 98
Kings Canyon

Kings Canyon
spectacular landscapes and wildlife

Attachments

• DSC00574 Kingsnake.JPG
    DSC00574 Kingsnake.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00577 Black widow.JPG
    DSC00577 Black widow.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8739 Kings Canyon.JPG
    IMG_8739 Kings Canyon.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8750.JPG
    IMG_8750.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8764.JPG
    IMG_8764.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 99
Sequoia

Of course Sequoia

Attachments

• DSC00267 Sequoia State Forest.JPG
    DSC00267 Sequoia State Forest.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00477 Sequoia NP.JPG
    DSC00477 Sequoia NP.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8652 Mammutbaum Kings Canyon.JPG
    IMG_8652 Mammutbaum Kings Canyon.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00444 Landschaft.JPG
    DSC00444 Landschaft.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 79
Birdlife

Attachments

• DSC00772 unknown.JPG
    DSC00772 unknown.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC00887.JPG
    DSC00887.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01305.JPG
    DSC01305.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 303
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back