• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First visit to east Norfolk. (1 Viewer)

Shaggy2070

Next week we've booked a cottage in Happisburgh but I have no idea what the area is like.
I usually have one day to myself to go birding and was thinking of having a drive down to Minsmere and Dunwich Heath looking for Dartford Warblers, Marsh Harriers and possibly Bittern but are there any places near Happisburgh I could catch up with Marsh Harriers especially? Or any other places near-by that could be of interest.

Marsh Harriers are quite regular along the North Norfolk coast in the right habitat - Cley Marshes NWT is a great reserve for a day's birding and you have a good chance of a harrier quartering the reed beds. Minsmere is also excellent with a good chance of Bittern, too, though a longer drive. Happisburgh is a noted spot for autumnal migrant hunting so if the conditions are promising a walk around the village lanes could be rewarding.
Enjoy your stay, Rob.

Yes Cley is a great choice, with lots of different options and Rob and I have seen Marsh Harriers there on virtually all of our visits. If Hickling , perhaps I would suggest focus on Rush Hills Scrape, which can give good views of waders. We do see MH there, but not as often as on our visits to Cley .
Hope that you have a great holiday .
Best wishes, Carol

Thanks guys:t:.
Cley Marshes looks good so if I can't be bothered to drive down to Minnesmere that may be my birding day out.

CheersB :).

Managed to have a day walking around Cley Marshes, didn't manage to get Marsh Harrier there but got a lifer with a Spoonbill flying over:king:.

But I didn't dip on Marsh Harrier all together, I got distant views of one at Pensthorpe Natural Park:t:.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back