• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG creeping diopter - I think I know when it does! (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have had issues with a creeping diopter on all the EDG II I have tried (4-5 samples). My own sample was sent to service for some years ago, but they did not/could not fix the problem. So I still live with a creeping diopter when birding. But tonight I think that I have found out when the creeping occurs!

The creeping diopter seems to happen when focusing and you at the same time pointing the EDG upwards! If you just pointing the EDG straight ahead no creeping diopter will be seen. But when pointing upwards the diopter (mine at least does) move about +1 diopter when turning the focus wheel from right all the way to the left. Everytime it happens to me!!

Please try this with your sample of the EDG to see if the same happens to you. I have to point my EDG about 70-75 degrees (or something like that) upwards to make the diopter to creep. Let me know in this thread if the same happens to you!

Last edited:
M EDGs do not have a creeping diopter. But here is a suggestion, how snug is the focus wheel surrounding the diopter ring, couple of things, for whatever reason the inside focus wheel is perhaps engaging the diopter ring from dirt or debris, or the inside of the focus wheel does not fit snug around the diopter ring (loose fitting) there should be no free play.
Have you been pulling out the focus wheel frequently to check the diopter?

Best bet is to contact Nikon, speak to them, and ask them to service the glass, and to fix the problem once and for all.

Andy W.

I set the diopter on my 10x32 EDG II in 2013 when I got it and I have not changed it since then.

I owned a double hinged 10x32 EDG I prior to it from 2010. The corrugated rubber sleeve on the focus wheel stretched with use and it interfered with normal focusing so I returned it to Nikon for servicing. The covering on the binocular had also started bubbling and working loose. Nikon, instead of fixing it, replaced that binocular with the aforesaid EDG II.

Bob

Last edited:
KF .... I attempted to duplicate the problem you described but I did not get any diopter creep.

I used a Nikon 8X32 EDG-II and a Nikon 10X42 EDG-II. For both, I set the focus knob at the extreme position, checked the diopter setting, pointed them near vertical and then rotated the focus to the extreme opposite position. At that point I again checked the diopter setting and there was no change. I repeated this in the opposite direction and again, no change in the diopter setting.

It appears this is unique to your unit, indicating a mechanical defect. It looks like it is time to send it back to Nikon again. You can now explain to Nikon how to reproduce the problem so hopefully that will give them information that may help them in fixing it correctly this time. Please let us know how it comes out. The situation has to be frustrating for you.

KF .... I attempted to duplicate the problem you described but I did not get any diopter creep.

I used a Nikon 8X32 EDG-II and a Nikon 10X42 EDG-II. For both, I set the focus knob at the extreme position, checked the diopter setting, pointed them near vertical and then rotated the focus to the extreme opposite position. At that point I again checked the diopter setting and there was no change. I repeated this in the opposite direction and again, no change in the diopter setting.

It appears this is unique to your unit, indicating a mechanical defect. It looks like it is time to send it back to Nikon again. You can now explain to Nikon how to reproduce the problem so hopefully that will give them information that may help them in fixing it correctly this time. Please let us know how it comes out. The situation has to be frustrating for you.

Thanks for answering! :)

What I ment was that they who have issues with a creeping diopter on his/hers EDG should try my "method" to see if the diopter only creeps when ponting vertical or if it creeps at other positions too. If you don't have had any issues with the diopter before I do not think you will get get issues with the diopter now either (even if you pointing the bino 90 degrees upwards).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back