• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Jay Question (1 Viewer)

Rosario1

I have a blue jay sitting on eggs very close outside my window, and "check on her" discretely from said window several times a day. She's been on the eggs for several days now, but I never see her leave, nor do I see anyone feeding her. I'm wondering if perhaps her mate has been injured or something. Any thoughts here?

It's not unusual for the female jay to do most of the incubating, but I wonder how you can tell that it's always the same bird on the nest? Unless you're watching the nest 24/7, you may not notice when the pair switch places.

It's not unusual for the female jay to do most of the incubating, but I wonder how you can tell that it's always the same bird on the nest? Unless you're watching the nest 24/7, you may not notice when the pair switch places.

Actually, it’s only the female Blue Jay that incubates, a not uncommon pattern among songbirds whether or not the sexes look alike.

Hmmmm. Two contradictory answers here. Thank you both. She must be eating, because she's still alive!

I have seen her visit our bird bath. She's nesting very close to our window and seems to be fairly at ease with us "checking" on her every so often at the window, although I keep the shades mostly closed so that she's not threatened by too much movement inside.

I guess I'll just keep on watching her and hope she's getting food somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back