• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Android apps for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Boy Wonder

Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves
Have jumped ship from iOS to Android... Went for the Xperia Z5 compact as it's a size I am used to. Can anyone recommend good camera apps? Don't need the editing software as I have snapseed. Would like an app that let's me lock focus and aperture so I can manually focus with the scope. Advice appreciated as I know this is an apple dominated thread.

I just posted something on the Carson Hookupz - i downloaded the Camera Timer app, as it was the only one that seemed to have a 1sec timer delay on the shutter available (to avoid the inevitable vibration if you take the shot by touching the screen). Also has an easy-to-use zoom, exposure compensation, flash on/off, focus options, gallery, settings etc all accessed from the front screen via small icons.
Seems as much as i need, as i too don't need editing etc.
Free from the Google Play Store.

I use a Samsung phone (S5 mini) and the phone's pre-installed camera app. I don't use a timer but the function that let's you point on the spot you want to autofocus on and simultaneously clinch the shutter. I find this gives very good results, no issue with vibrations, as a very slight touch on the screen is sufficient.

Hi Dalat,

I don't use a timer but the function that let's you point on the spot you want to autofocus on and simultaneously clinch the shutter. I find this gives very good results, no issue with vibrations, as a very slight touch on the screen is sufficient.

I just installed Open Camera, which has an option to trigger the shutter by sound or voice command. I guess that's quicker than a self timer, and less vibration-inducing than touching the screen:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

I haven't tried it in the field yet, though.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Henning, I still use the standard camera app of my samsung phone. It can also be released by voice control, but I don't really use that, as its not so easy to get the precise moment. I still mostly use a slight finger tip on the screen, in most siutation that works fine. When I want to minimize vibrations, I use the headphone as cable release, works perfect.

Hi Dalat,

I still mostly use a slight finger tip on the screen, in most siutation that works fine. When I want to minimize vibrations, I use the headphone as cable release, works perfect.

I didn't know it was possible to use the headphone for that ... I'll have to read up on whether my old Sony Xperia T can do that too. Thanks for the tip! :)

Regards,

Henning

Hi again,

I didn't know it was possible to use the headphone for that ... I'll have to read up on whether my old Sony Xperia T can do that too.

Thinking about it, maybe a Bluetooth release would be even better as it would avoid the tangly cable ...

I actually have a simple Bluetooth controller lying around here which can operate some media player functions. Too bad it didn't come with any documentation, it would be perfect as camera remote control!

Regards,

Henning

Anything new regarding Android apps since this thread went cold? Surely someone uses Android. LOL.

Thought I would bump it and see what happens.

I use the pre-installed camera app and find that OK. I have an Honor 9 and have the option to go to Pro Mode which allows changing ISO etc.

Might look at other apps though.

Gi

I have not done any spotting scope digiscoping until today. I have dabbled in astro pics with my cell phone. Always used the stock camera on my Note. I upgraded to the Samsung Note 10+ and found I had less control. In a preemptive move for digiscoping, I downloaded an app called "Firstlight", and a video app called "FilMicPro", today.

They both look promising, but I am ignorant, when it comes to photography. It is probably going to be too advanced for me. Hopefully not, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back