• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Learning Bird Calls Advice (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley

Hi all
I know most of the common bird song from the internet. To me though the HOOeet of willow sounds just like the huEET of a chiff.
I find that calls don't come as naturally to me. I find there is no shortcut other than constant listening before it clicks.
I have only just recently been able distinguish between coal and great tit with confidence.
So what cds do people recommend, especially for calls. Any other advice aswell about learning calls.

Thanks in advance Ste (or steve as i am getting old)

The only advice I have about learning bird songs/calls is to get out in the field. When you hear something unfamiliar just try and find it - its a fun way of learning them.

I find learning them from CDs dificult but the "Songs and Calls of the birds of Britain and Europe" quite good.

Have you looked in resources on this page or on the rspb site both have bird calls. I find I try and listen to a number of target species on the above say three over a period of a few days (Say Blackcap, Sedge Warbler and Willow Warbler) and then try and see if I can find them making the noise. I think it also helps if you can see them actually singing to put it in your mind. I know that I am alot better than I was a few years ago.

I think it was Stuart Barnes "How to be a bad birdwatcher" that made me realise how important birdsong was to watching birds.

I also listen to in the car "Geoff Sample Collins Guide to Bird Song"

www.peregrinesbirdblog.blogspot.com

Last edited:
PaulK said:
The only advice I have about learning bird songs/calls is to get out in the field. When you hear something unfamiliar just try and find it - its a fun way of learning them.

I find learning them from CDs dificult but the "Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Europe" quite good.

Amazon stock that here

I'm still learning and despite the frustration have learnt to take it slowly.
There's a lot to take in what with songs/calls/variation/sub song/immitation.

Over here, we have these neat little device called the Birdsong IdentiFlyer. Hand-held green thing with buttons. You purchase cards with different groups of birds on them (seperate from device). Slide the card in the slot, and push the button next to the picture of one of the birds. The device plays the song or call back to you. It has everything from raptors to shorebirds to warblers. Great way to learn! Maybe you guys can get it online.

TCondorOwl92 said:
Over here, we have these neat little device called the Birdsong IdentiFlyer. Hand-held green thing with buttons. You purchase cards with different groups of birds on them (seperate from device). Slide the card in the slot, and push the button next to the picture of one of the birds. The device plays the song or call back to you. It has everything from raptors to shorebirds to warblers. Great way to learn! Maybe you guys can get it online.

Amazing gadget - never heard of it in the UK.

Here it is...

Here people buy hand-held PCs with 'Wildsounds' but that costs about $600

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back