• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler,Northern Greece (1 Viewer)

Not a reed warbler. Looks like a chiffchaff to me though the eye-stripe is not clearly defined in this photo. Not many warblers have black beak and legs. I'd go with chiffchaff.

Not a reed warbler. Looks like a chiffchaff to me though the eye-stripe is not clearly defined in this photo. Not many warblers have black beak and legs. I'd go with chiffchaff.

Long undertail coverts, rounded, almost wedge-tail tip, long beak not that thin all exclude Phyllosc. I stick on Acrocephalus.

It might help to work out what this bird is if you told us where you found it. The background of the photo doesn't look like reeds and I still think it looks more like a chiffchaff than a reed warbler.

It might help to work out what this bird is if you told us where you found it. The background of the photo doesn't look like reeds and I still think it looks more like a chiffchaff than a reed warbler.

With a tail like that, no offence meant but how much birding have you actually done?

Acrocephalus warblers, of which this is one, are often seen in habitat other than reeds.

A

At this time of year (post breeding migration time underway for RW) they often appear anywhere - often in arid habitats (esp. in Med Europe) even pine trees and such like. Of course, its not stated when the photo was taken but looks as a 1stW to me - if it is, its likely moving.

Look at the UTCs - although in shadow, they extend far down the undertail, legs are far too stocky for CC and the peachy rufousy wash to the breast sides, under belly and UTCs are typical RW. The bill alone is wrong for CC etc. ;)

Without question an Acro. Quite apart from the other genus-defining features already mentioned, look at the length and shape of the bill - clearly not that of a Phyllosc.

The reason I suggested chiffchaff is that there aren't, as far as I know, any acros that live in/pass through Greece which have black legs and a black bill. So can anybody actually identify this bird?

The reason I suggested chiffchaff is that there aren't, as far as I know, any acros that live in/pass through Greece which have black legs and a black bill. So can anybody actually identify this bird?

It is Acrocehalus sp, with 99% probability to be Acrocephalus scirpaceus. Colour including legs, and shape are matching perfectly.

Bill and legs aren't black though - remember a photo is an instant in time and their true colour would be revealed as the bird moved - a shot taken after or before this one for example. The bird is confidently identified as an Acro sp. and very likely to be a Reed Warbler - the other contenders don't fit too well. PH - its lores and facial pattern are spot on for RW, apart from all the other features mentioned - look at the bird again please ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back