• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery binocular (1 Viewer)

smurf.for.mark

An unusual binocular found its way to my door today. a complete mystery?
id say they were 6x24. no makers marks/serial numbers can be found just what has been crudely scratched onto the prism plates.
i must say iv been googling for days and yet to find another one?

Attachments

• protobin1.jpg
    protobin1.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 77
  • protobin2.jpg
    protobin2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 49
  • protobin3.jpg
    protobin3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 68
  • protobin4.jpg
    protobin4.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 45
  • protobin7.jpg
    protobin7.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 42
The 'three-pronged' trident symbol on the top plate next to the hinge looks like the Ministry of War mark stamped on binos during World War II in the UK, so this indicates UK manufacture.

Lee

yes i noticed the crows foot marking and wondered if they had been "loaned" to the military?
that centre hinge though?

Never seen anything like that hinge.

On the one hand it doesn't look designed to stand the rigours of military service, which doesn't prove much because I believe all binos of all kinds were comandeered by the Ministry of War.

However, if the construction used aluminium this design surely minimised the amount used. Aly was in desperate short supply for the making of aircraft at the time.

Lee

Hello,

The flat screw head on the hinge looks rather crude. My guess is that it poorly repaired.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

MOD mark

The 'three-pronged' trident symbol on the top plate next to the hinge looks like the Ministry of War mark stamped on binos during World War II in the UK, so this indicates UK manufacture.

Lee

The MOD "arrows" started life as three rifles propped up against each other. It morphed into broad arrows. The Navy CF41 7x50 had large bright yellow arrows for example.
The Ministry of Defence asked for binoculars to be loaned to the war effort and they were tested at the National Physics Laboratory at Teddington. You can sometimes see NPL engraved. If the bino was not suitable it was engraved with just two parts of the arrow - the middle and one side. At the end of the war they were returned to the original owners and the broad arrow was repeated upside down to form six lined star. If they had been lost or destroyed, the original owner was given a replacement.
The arrow does not indicate UK manufacture. You can see the symbol on french, american and german models.

The MOD "arrows" started life as three rifles propped up against each other. It morphed into broad arrows. The Navy CF41 7x50 had large bright yellow arrows for example.
The Ministry of Defence asked for binoculars to be loaned to the war effort and they were tested at the National Physics Laboratory at Teddington. You can sometimes see NPL engraved. If the bino was not suitable it was engraved with just two parts of the arrow - the middle and one side. At the end of the war they were returned to the original owners and the broad arrow was repeated upside down to form six lined star. If they had been lost or destroyed, the original owner was given a replacement.
The arrow does not indicate UK manufacture. You can see the symbol on french, american and german models.

Richard
Thanks for clarifying that the 'arrows' or 'crows feet' do not indicate UK manufacture and for supplying so much background info.

Lee

The Broad Arrow military marking dates from about 1550 in England and later in Britain.
It is found Later in Australia, India and other colonies. :)

14A is the RAF marking with the arrow. I have probably seen this on hundreds of optics, cameras etc.

The binocular above looks like a British Army special glass, second grade prismatic binocular S.2, or even S.5 third grade binocular.

I haven't found an A16 meaning.

There are letters denoting years from about 1935 to 1959 and probably more, some indicating two differing years wide apart.
Including.
R 1939
Q 1940
P 1941
O 1942
N 1943
M 1944
L or Z 1945.

I don't know if the A on the binocular is a date code, or the whole number identifies the lender.

I thought that the binocular might be French.

Anyway, binocular maybe £10 delivered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back