• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shropshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Patrick

Where's the best place to park for the Melverley floods? Haevn't been down there for ages. Last time I visited I wasn't sure where to go for best views and legitimate access/parking.

Might not be online for a few days, so don't interpret no reply/thanks as bad manners.

Where's the best place to park for the Melverley floods?

Chris

Park at the Royal Hill public house on the road between Pentre and Melverley and explore the area from the minor roads that run to the west and north. There are also some footpaths that cross the area, but beware that the ground is now very wet.

The WeBS counts go off the roads and paths by private agreement with the farmers, but there is still plenty to see from the roads - the best area we counted on Sunday is from the minor road opposite Cae Howel.

Cheers,

Hi patrick/all,
I finished work early today so managed the last 40 minutes of daylight at the mire lake. the wood sandpiper was still present but not alot else, 9+ green sands and 50+ lapwing.
The record of Whoopers over shrewsbury is a good one and I've been meaning to go to Haughmond hill for ages, just re-read your post from the weekend!!!
I have to say that the prospect of twitching leaves me cold, I have to occainsonally to remain sane, shropshire can be hard work!!! I' m of the same opinion as you regarding birding abroad, It's much easier and far less hassle, and generally the birds seem to perform much better in better light etc etc...
I ve got a trip to Goa organised for christmas, so another bucket load of new birds and extremely warm climate to boot, to look forward to.
cheers andy.

Thanks Patrick

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some reasonable weather. Could do with some pics of Melverley church for our website as well, so a bit of sun would be nice.

Andy

Are you on DIY or an organised tour for Goa? We had a great time there a few years ago. Our trip report is on our website. Probably doesn't add much to lots of other reports that have been written although I think that the site where we got Desert Wheatear and a good selection of larks and pipits is not that well known. I'm sure you've got your field guides sorted out but I can lend you Helms Southern India (Grimmett and Inskip) if not.

Andy, should you get around to reading the report, don't get too excited by the claimed "Ruddy-breasted Bittern". Not sure what's happened here, except that our web host have been messing about a lot and have really screwed some of our galleries. Ruddy-breasted Crake and Cinammon Bittern is more like it and there might have been a Baillons in there as well.

I'm getting quite envious.

Hello Andy

Goa's great - the Backwoods site up in the Ghats is top rate, but if you get the chance, I'd recommend that you try and get a bit further south towards Cotiago as well. If you haven't got a copy of Pete Harris's Independent Birder's Guide to Goa, PM me and I'll post it to you. The Hotel Molymar - "A Taste of Paradise".

Without wishing to sound smug or like a grumpy old git, I'd rather get my fix by spending a week on Scilly in October than mainland twitching. For one thing, you don't spend more time looking for a parking space than you do looking at the bird.

Haughmond Hill is a win-win site - good birding, and you can take visitors there as the views from the southern end over the river and Shrewsbury itself are superb.

Cheers,

hello,
thanks for the info on Goa, should of mentioned its a return trip I was there last year for two weeks so this year will be more relaxed with a few species to target and backwoods is on again!!!
Patrick I can't afford scilly anymore! I went to peru in september so if either of you need any info just post the question, chris your trips are similiar to the areas I have visited I couldn't access your gallery from the link provided so could not see the cinnemon breasted rail, but both species showed well last year from the Breira Mar.

Cheers andy.

Tawny Owl calling at Mytton Mill this evening.

Waxwings are getting closer to Shropshire, appearing in both Cheshire and North Wales in good numbers. Won't be long now.

Keeping my eyes peeled for those Waxwings too. There were plenty at Telford Central Railway Station during the last big Waxwing year (2005/6?).

A Green Woodpecker over the office in Central Park, Telford today - possibly my first here since the Spring.

Hi Chris,
I've seen your photos via the link you posted, your trip rep etc. link the page will not appear. Any way the desert wheatear this is a site relatively new you say, where was it? did it turn up any other interesting sights? I see you visited salim ali was it good? I never went last year, diva island was better apparently, well we had lesser florican there it worth it for that alone!
I've got harison etc. plus web reports but any other info would be appreciated.
Cheers andy

Andy

Hopefully this link will get you to the trip report direct. The site seems to be working fine on the four computers that we use regularly.

http://www.avengerpenguins.com/Goa.html

Viz Salim Ali - the track to the left near the entrance was pretty good for an hour with Terek Sandpiper and Lesser Sandplover the highlights - doesn't beat the Florican, though.

Directions for the Desert Wheatear site ...

From the O Pescador hotel in Dona Paula go up the hill and turn right at the main road to follow the coast. I've a feeling that this was signposted for the Ciudade de Goa hotel, but if not, this is a very well known hotel locally.

The site was a short distance past the hotel on the left and is an unremarkable area of scrubby fields with a few bits of walls and surrounded by dwellings. The area takes a couple of hours to work. Highlights included Yellow-wattled Lapwing, Oriental Skylark, Malabar Lark, Richard’s Pipit, Ashy-crowned Sparrow Lark, Blyth’s Pipit and Tawny Pipit as well as Black-headed and White-rumped Munias. And don't forget the beach path just before the hotel where we had a few forest species i/c Indian Blue Robin and White-throated Fantails.

If you're staying at/near Beira Mar, then it's probably not too expensive in a taxi and it would be a left turn at the junction just before you drop down into Dona Paula. I would suggest that an early morning visit would be ideal before there are too many people around.

Let me know how you get on. We're off to Poland next week and hoping to promote Nutcracker from 'heard only' status but not expecting too much. Apparently there's a lot of snow in the Tatras mountains.

We're off to Poland next week and hoping to promote Nutcracker from 'heard only' status but not expecting too much. Apparently there's a lot of snow in the Tatras mountains.

Chris

If you're going to the Tatras and looking for Nutcracker, try the cafe that's beside the lake at Morskie Oko - we had Nutcracker coming to bread there a few years ago.

The walk from Zakopane to Morskie Oko and Czarny Staw is awesome, as is area itself, although take a coat, and avoid the local home brew.

Thanks Patrick

Cafes with birds sound appealing. I'll do a little research. We'll hopefully be well kitted out for a bit of winter walking.

Bullfinches very active around the office in Telford this morning, finishing off the poisonous looking white berries. Caught a flash of something quite delicate looking but didn't have my specs on. Blackcap is the best bet as we've had occassional visits from males and females late-autumn and winter for the last few years.

Waxwing

Don't get over-excited, but ...

09:25 - Park Inn, Telford - Waxwing heard.

I'll claim a little previous here - of the four lots of Waxwings that I've "found" - i.e. I had no prior information or expectation that they would be there, two of them have been located on call before visual confirmation, so I quite fancy myself for having a good chance of a positive ID. Also I can only think of one occassion when I've thought I've heard them and not seen them before today and that was in Denmark in November, so probably a fair likelihood - it was also about 20 minutes after sunset, so I've an excuse for not finding them!

Anyway, I'd just parked in the hotel car park for a 9:30 meeting and heard the call. My impression was of one bird calling several times, probably in the trees between the hotel and the raod (Rampart Way). I had a minute to spare but no bins handy, so walked over to try to get a view, nearly slipping on a patch of ice in the process, but couldn't see anything.

I had another look after the meeting at about 14:00 but couldn't see/hear anything. I then went down to Telford Station where there are often plenty of berries but no luck there either.

If anyone else fancies a look, there's no free parking at the hotel. Staples is probably closest or the station. The flock that was around in spring 2006 was quite mobile and could often be seen from the ramps to the footbridge for the station, the trees between the westbound waiting room and the A442 and even, oddly enough, in the poplars between Staples and the A442.

May not be worth a specific trip but any birding train users should keep their eyes peeled.

I'm in London tomorrow and Poland until the middle of next week, so I'll look forward to hearing about any others found in the county this weekend, which given the changing conditions must be a possibility.

Good shout Chris, alas I'm away from Shropshire in the daylight for the next few days, so will have to leave to Andy to check out.

Unfortunately I'm never near telford during day light in the week however the rowans in trumpton are disappearing rather quickly, the only problem the starling shaped birds eating them are just that, starlings!!!!
If on the rare occaison I'm any where near town I'll check.
andy.

Not much to report over the weekend - stopped off at Ellesmere yesterday evening on the way back from north Wales to check the gull roost which was mainly Lesser Black-backed Gulls with a scattering of Herring, Black-headed and Common. Apparently very few immature birds of any species.

Goldeneye, Wigeon and Shoveler amongst the ducks on the Mere.

Hey up,

Waxwings have found shropshire... 2 this morning in Rowan rd Market Drayton at 9.15. Unfortunately they could not be relocated despite several people looking. I'm sure they're around there somewhere I'll check again in the morning.
I had a look at Telford Train stn last week chris but there wasn't any berries or waxwings or at least no berries I consider to be waxwing fodder!
andy

Andy

The Waxwings in 04/05 (?) at Telford Central seemed to be doing ok. They were there for several weeks on both sides of the lines. I'd hoped to locate some Waxwings in Poland to compare the calls, but no luck. Good to hear that they're about, though. Saw my first ever in Market Drayton many years ago.

Patrick

Thanks for the info on the Nutcrackers. We saw two at about 2-3 metres. A great end to a two hour walk through the snow and it gave us a boost for the return trip. Best ever views of Crested Tits as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back