• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD Bin's Upgrade (2 Viewers)

Another question: will my birding cred be diminished by having RSPB bins? ;):'D
That's an interesting question Joanne. It shouldn't be but I can't help thinking that a certain element among alpha bin owners will look down upon them, completely unjustifiably so.

That raises another point about the original RSPB HD bins. Whilst I applaud their pleasingly uncluttered design, I think they could have been a bit less reserved in the badging. It would be nice if the new model carried a badge to show that they are the HD model to distinguish them from the 'lesser' RSPB bins.

From Vikingtim's post it sounds as if we will have to wait a bit longer to see the updated version.

Ron

Vikngtim,

The RSPB HD is on my shortlist for an upgrade binocular. How long is "some time" for the upgrade? The promised improvements seem substantial for a modest increase in price.

The RSPB website still has the upgrades available in September - have they not updated the site yet if a delay is due, or is some point in Sept still the intended release date?

The RSPB website still has the upgrades available in September - have they not updated the site yet if a delay is due, or is some point in Sept still the intended release date?

I can only change the sites that I have control of, I run most of the sites (all of Viking and RSPB optics) but the RSPB shop site is done in house.

Joanne, I have occasionally had blackouts, and my eyes are a bit sunken. A few years ago I found a comfortable spot in the area below the eye brow but above tyhe eye lid, I rest my bins there. That is, they do not touch my eyes at the bottom. If I pushed them more in, they would touch the face both top and bottom.

Between RSPB and Viking we have some exciting new products to show you at the Birdfair so we look forward to seeing you.

Tim
Viking Optical

For those of us not going to the Birdfair are you able to tell us anything about the new Viking products?

Could it be that you have made an ED binocular as a progression from the ED monocular that you already have?

Or is there a replacement for the Viking GR's coming? (Arguably the best Viking bin but now discontinued once the 8x32's run out).

So the RSPB 8x32HD only will be available from September?

Nev

Joanne, I wouldn't buy bins that give you blackouts. You might get used to them - but what if you don't? I would want bins that I can use without worrying about eye placement.

Michael

For those of us not going to the Birdfair are you able to tell us anything about the new Viking products?

Could it be that you have made an ED binocular as a progression from the ED monocular that you already have?

Or is there a replacement for the Viking GR's coming? (Arguably the best Viking bin but now discontinued once the 8x32's run out).

So the RSPB 8x32HD only will be available from September?

Nev
Hi Nev
All will be revealed shortly |;|

Tim

Hi Everyone
Those attending the Birdfair this weekend will be able to try the new 8x32 HD's for the first time in the UK.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances we will not have a 8x42 or a 10x42 for some time. They are listed in the RSPB catalogue but this is simply as the RSPB have to work so far in advance for printing deadlines, had we known of the delay they would not have been included.

Between RSPB and Viking we have some exciting new products to show you at the Birdfair so we look forward to seeing you.

Tim
Viking Optical

Hi Tim,

Could you please send us some photos on the fair?;)

Tim
Viking Optical

Yes rather a deathly silence on these new products.

Will get my "insiders" report on Sunday though.

One thing I did notice on the existing HD's is the IPD at the minimum end is only just OK for me and certainly far less than the RSPB HG models. I would like more leeway for those very close viewing opportunities when I want to make the IPD less than normal.

Nev

I got a chance to try the new 8x32hd's at the WE and was somewhat underwhelmed. The view was rather dim and not all that sharp - possibly an early poor sample.

The new 42mm HD's may not be available till the new year according to the Viking rep.

Nev

I got a chance to try the new 8x32hd's at the WE and was somewhat underwhelmed. The view was rather dim and not all that sharp - possibly an early poor sample.

The new 42mm HD's may not be available till the new year according to the Viking rep.

Nev
That's not good news Nev. Are you still getting supplies of the original 42s to keep you going until the updated model appears?

Ron

That's not good news Nev. Are you still getting supplies of the original 42s to keep you going until the updated model appears?

Ron

Yes Ron if I understood Paul from Viking, there was/are a large number of the older 42mm models to come out of the factory before they start producing the new HD's, hence the delay.

The new HD's listing in the Autumn RSPB catalogue was a bit(!) premature by all accounts.

FWIW Paul did say that they are made in a different factory to the Hawke ED's.

Nev

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back