• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blaser Binoculars (1 Viewer)

dries1

Has anyone handled these binoculars or own or used to own a pair. If so can you provide some general characteristics of the glass, optics, ergonomics, etc,

Andy W.

Like my Mother always told me...if you cant say ANYTHING GOOD about something ; just say nothing...

Hi Andy,

I own the Blaser Primus 8x30, which, since I bought it in 2017, has now been renamed “Globetrotter 8x30”.

With their binoculars, Blaser is clearly targeting the hunting market and currently sells the following four models:

Blaser “Globetrotter” 8x30
Blaser 8x42
Blaser 10x42
Blaser 8x56

Holger Merlitz (known to most here, I guess) visited the Blaser stand at the IWA 2018 and wrote the following remark on March 11 on a German optics forum:
“Blaser hat wieder seine Fernglasreihe vorgestellt. Ordentliche Geräte, Leistung mindestens obere Mittelklasse, allerdings mit Preisen aus der Premiumliga. Braucht man das wirklich?”

In fact, with their prices, Blaser position itself in the premium segment, the 8x30 being in a price range in which you would find e.g. the same size Ultravid HD+.

Here is my personal opinion of the 8x30.

The bino is marked “Made in Germany”, but I think I have reason to believe that they are to some degree manufactured in Japan and that only the final assembly and maybe some further production steps occur in Germany. However, this is speculation, not firm knowledge.

The specs look quite good: FOV 8.2 degrees = 144m, eye relief 18mm, close focus 2m, weight “naked” 475g (acc. to spec), with caps and strap 518g (measured); diopter adjustment range is +/- 6dpt (spec). They operate at full aperture (measured: 30mm).

Picking them up, holding and using them, they make a very good impression: The finish is superb, and they are mechanically excellent (focusing, central hinge, dpt adjustment, eye cups), everything feels solid and worthy.

Optics: very good central sharpness, with a nice wide field and well controlled CA. The edge sharpness convinced me a bit less, it is okay but not comparable to e.g. the Swaro CL (new) or Monarch HG. Stray-light suppression is not perfect but definitely quite good for a 8x30.

In summary: nice and well finished binocular with excellent mechanics and upper middle class optical performance at a premium price.

fwiw Canip

Attachments

• IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 70
It looks to be yet another variant of the Maven B3, Nikon MHG, and the Opticron Traveller. Each manufacturer might order slightly different items from the menu, but then they are all served on the same plate. The bill varies considerably...

Edit: Eye relief stated on the Manufacturer's website for the 8x30 is 15.1 mm, btw. A look at the spec shows it to be practically identical to the B3. $500 vs $2099. hmmmm....

Edit #2: All this pointed out by Canip last February, albeit with different 'separated at birth' candidates.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=357753

Last edited:
Hmm .... you have me slightly blushing, wdc, good job in digging out my previous post about the same subject that I did 9 months ago, I could just have pointed Andy W., who started this thread, to it, but had totally forgotten about it since Feb. ..... maybe I should cut down on my beer consumption ... only consolation is that I did not contradict myself too much between my post in this thead and the previous one ... thank you anyway!
Canip

Folks, don't worry. The same people who buy Blaser rifles will buy these binoculars. Because some folks just need to show others how much money they have. that's all.

With the competition from other glass here in the US with lower cost, coupled with their elevated prices, Blaser are likely not purchased here much in the US. Europe might be a different story. I guess one could get a FL T or a SV 8X32 if they wanted to get a premium glass at that price.

Justabirdwatcher, I take it their rifles are costly also.

Thanks again Canip for your pics and write up.

Andy W.

?....

Costly?

Andy, would you call a beautifully engraved and decorated hunting rifle, costing easily as much as a BMW 7 series, costly? I would.
:-O

With the competition from other glass here in the US with lower cost, coupled with their elevated prices, Blaser are likely not purchased here much in the US. Europe might be a different story. I guess one could get a FL T or a SV 8X32 if they wanted to get a premium glass at that price.

Thanks again Canip for your pics and write up.

Andy W.

I think you are right in your summation. Blaser is a German company that sells firearms.

It is not hard to get into optics, just check off the order blank and sell
what you desire. That means clone optics, just as we've been accustomed
to seeing today.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back