• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to digiscope with Nikon D50 (1 Viewer)

dghays

I recently purchased a Nikon D50 DSLR which came with an 18-55 and 70-300 lenses. Just found on my companies' classifieds a fujinon Super ED80 scope for $300, which appears to be a deal. I assume this:

Fujinon SLR (35mm OR Digital) Camera Adapter (850mm f/10.6 with 80mm, 850mm f/14 with 60mm) for Fujinon Spotting Scopes - Requires Camera-Specific T-Mount Adapter
Along with the T-mount should be all I then need to let'er rip?

Any commentary about how it should all work out? The D50 while not a 'pro' camera, seems to process well at ASA800, so I'd think should produce acceptably....think so? Any tips, opinions, etc are welcome. I assume I'd do shooting in shutter priority at ASA800 with tripod. What sshutter speed might be a good one to start with?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

dghays said:
Any commentary about how it should all work out? The D50 while not a 'pro' camera, seems to process well at ASA800, so I'd think should produce acceptably....think so? Any tips, opinions, etc are welcome. I assume I'd do shooting in shutter priority at ASA800 with tripod. What sshutter speed might be a good one to start with?

Hi Gary,

This is almost exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment with a William Optics scope so I'm also interested in the responses you get.

Shutter priority doesn't work for me, I have to use full manual because there is no camera lens attached while using a t-ring.
Not sure how the ED80 compares to traditional refractors but I've found on any refractors that I tried prime photography on that I needed an extension tube (about 1 1/2 inches) to allow my DSLR to reach focus.

Finding it hard to get sharp focus though because of the tiny depth of field, but that will improve with practice I guess.

Hope that helps,
Trev

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back