• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low cost alternatives to black rapid straps (1 Viewer)

Sbiriguda

Hello,
I have to buy a strap, and I am thinking of Black Rapid Sport
Honestly it's a bit expensive provided I am just an occasional photographer...
I was also suggested to take a look to Lowepro (which is very likely to be not that cheap either) but until now I found only straps with the camera bag, not without bag like the Black Rapid
Anyway I am also considering some low cost alternatives like these ones:
https://www.amazon.it/Coolway®-Prof...=tracolla+macchina,aps,156&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
https://www.amazon.it/Tracolla-With...4&s=gateway&sprefix=tracolla+macchina,aps,156
Would they be any use or are they just crap?
Thanks

Thanks, that sounds nice, but I think the Nikon D3100 + Sigma contemporary 150-600 mm are too heavy for that one. Too bad because that sounds very good and right now is discounted on Amazon Italy

I have a Black Rapid and its awesome, is it sort of expensive? Yes.
But why would you cheap out on something that is going to hold your DSLR and lens over your shoulder?
Surely a Black rapid strap is cheaper than a broken lens and camera.

I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun :gh:

Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.

You'll be carrying about 3kg around all day. It is really worth it to save your neck with the BR Sport. If you're young and don't get perturbed by weights around your neck, then maybe one of the cheaper sling straps will be ok.

Another option is to get what's called a "backpack camera strap." If you will be wearing a good backpack (like a technical hiking pack), you can get these and hang the camera from the backpack strap. It will bounce around a bit, but I usually also use a bungee cord to hold it in place when doing more concerted walking. Some need D rings and some have rectangular clips that latch around the existing strap. some attach to the L+R straps, some only to one or another. You will likely need to buy a 1/4-20 connector with rubber washer (very important to help prevent it coming loose) to attach to the lens (e.g. BlackRapid FR-5 FastenR), but without the BR Sports swivel joint, it might tend to unscrew even with the rubber washer.

Some examples: Think Tank Photo Camera Support Straps V2.0 (Black), BlackRapid Backpack Breathe Camera Strap, Sun-Sniper Rotaball Backpack Strap with Rotaball Connector.

I use one of these (link below) for over 7 years without issues. Like the mounting plate better than the knob-style used by BRapid for bulky gear. I routinely carry a D800 with grip and mounted 70-200 2.8, also used it with a 50 - 500 zoom in the past. Nice add-on would be a "under the arm strap" to keep the shoulder pad from sliding off the shoulder when using it .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Rapi...843008?hash=item23af88f200:g:fosAAOSwCK1b87yj

I just looked on my Black Rapid Sport and I can't see a country of manufacture anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if some alternatives come from the exact same factories. With the Black Rapid you are paying for the Warranty, some Patent Pending features, perhaps superior materials? and construction? perhaps not? and a lot of marketing and acronyms.

I've had mine for about 5 years now (little use last 2) and it has performed well with about ~2.7kg (~6lb) hanging from it. There is a small amount of wear on load bearing contact of the carabiner causing a reduction (~1mm) in thickness. I will have to get a back up safety tether for it. I think the screw in connector could have been better designed.

I always check the tightness of the connector and the wear on the carabiner at the start and end of each session. It probably doesn't help that you have to use the carabiner to sinch up the last bit of tightness on the connector.

Chosun :gh:

I have had two Black Rapids break on me. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Luckily I have quick reactions. My cheapo copy has lasted far longer and had a safety attachment. Sorry I can't remember the brand and it doesn't say on it. Look at the choices on Amazon.

Joby and Op/Tech have sling straps, but they are like the Black Rapids Curve -- they do not have the under-the-arm strap. That under-the-arm strap is what makes the BR Sport so great for heavier lenses. It keeps the sling from creeping up on your neck and causing strain or pain.

I think both low cost Black Strap clones at the links have an under-the-arm strap. Perhaps they might do the job...

I have had two Black Rapids break on me. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Luckily I have quick reactions. My cheapo copy has lasted far longer and had a safety attachment. Sorry I can't remember the brand and it doesn't say on it. Look at the choices on Amazon.
Any pictures of your broken BR's?

What exactly failed ? which part broke ? , if you were concerned why did you not use a simple fail-safe tether costing a few pounds ?

I have been using a BR strap for many years with no problems whatsoever - carried really big weights (up to 500/4 + Camera and converter = around 5KG) hundreds of times, I still have my 8 year old strap but did update to the latest one last year to get the extra under arm strap feature which stops the set-up moving around.

Last edited:
What exactly failed ? which part broke ? , if you were concerned why did you not use a simple fail-safe tether costing a few pounds ?

/QUOTE]

For the fairly obvious reason that they had such a good reputation so I wasn't concerned. When the first one broke, it was replaced and I was told the bit which screws into the camera - which was the bit that broke - had been improved but yes I did then add something to stop the camera from falling if it happened again which it did.

Last edited:

/QUOTE]

For the fairly obvious reason that they had such a good reputation so I wasn't concerned. When the first one broke, it was replaced and I was told the bit which screws into the camera - which was the bit that broke - had been improved but yes I did then add something to stop the camera from falling if it happened again which it did.
I was only interested because I have had one for 8 years (carried really heavy weights like Camera + 500/4 + converter + tripod clamp many hundreds of times and miles) and never had a single problem. Mind you I always used a tether just in case and also always checked that the screw was tightened before use - to this end wetting the rubber washer on the screw allows it to tighten that bit more especially if you tightened with the Steele clip.
I have now replaced my original one with a newer version that has the anti slip shoulder strap but the old one is still in perfect working order.
I was hoping that you would explain a bit more as to exactly what part of the screw-in part broke. Seems best that you go with a cheapo then ;)

Last edited:

/QUOTE]

Seems to me that “broke” means a part snapped and caused a failure. The screw fitting into the camera unscrewing itself doesn’t sound like anything broke (if that’s what happened)

Why don’t you just say WHAT actually happened, WHICH part “broke” and HOW it broke to give the rest of us BR owners an idea of what occurred?

Seems to me that “broke” means a part snapped and caused a failure. The screw fitting into the camera unscrewing itself doesn’t sound like anything broke (if that’s what happened)

Why don’t you just say WHAT actually happened, WHICH part “broke” and HOW it broke to give the rest of us BR owners an idea of what occurred?
That's what I was trying to find out but it looks like he is unwilling to tell up for some reason!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back