Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2019

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 10:34   #951
Mike Montier

Yes, good to see you again Steve. I hope you have a great time and if you are going to the Cap, let me know.
Maties reported two Caspian terns from Sa Roca the day before yesterday and a Knot is at the depuradora today.
Mike
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 12:05   #952
Maties Rebassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Maties, I am willing to help with co-ordination and I have some photos too.
The problem is that my Spanish is still poor but do let me know how I can help.
Fantastic record Stew, I was very happy for you. Watching your elation was every bit as good as seeing the dragonfly itself!
Mike
Mike, thanks a lot! We'll be in contact if the section comes true.
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 12:07   #953
Maties Rebassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Perhaps the first issue could contain extracts of some of the work done by TAIB (records/transect data/etc.)?

Just a thought.

Martin
Martin, I'm now in contact with Marina, we have to decide how to do this new section, but I like your idea, thanks!
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 13:30   #954
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maties Rebassa View Post
Martin, I'm now in contact with Marina, we have to decide how to do this new section, but I like your idea, thanks!
Hi Maties

I guessed as much from a comment Marina made on facebook about this species. I added the following:
There are two previous records, both of male Anax ephippigerr, on the Balearic Islands - from the work done by members of TAIB. One was observed just before sea in the eastern part of the Parc Natural de Llevant, on 23 April 2011; the other was in the vegetable garden on Cabrera, on 18 April 2012 [both records were by Nick (of course!)].

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Friday 13th September 2019 at 15:03.
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 14:02   #955
StewB

With the promise of better weather, I headed for Mortitx. As I arrived 2 bee eaters flew low south over the entrance. I had two more groups (3 and 2) as I walked by the vineyard. Redstarts were in evidence, with a total of 8+ during my visit. Yellow wagtails (5), whinchats (2) and swallows also suggested a bit of passage going on.

I saw a wryneck near the ladder stile and heard another further on, cirl bunting, blue rock thrush (heard only), nightingale and crag martins provide a local cast. I walked up as far as the Refugi, seeing and hearing crossbills in the trees on the approach.

9.20am seemed to be vulture lift-off time, with a total of six black vultures together, and a more distant griffon. After this, individuals and groups of up to four black vultures seemed to be in view for much of the time I was there, but itís impossible to know how many were actually involved. Another griffon showed as I returned past the vineyard. An Eleanoraís Falcon over the crags beyond the reservoir is the only one Iíve seen on this trip so far.

At the reservoir I watched the marsh (ďIberian WaterĒ) frogs stalking and occasionally catching ovipositing red-veined darters! About 200m past the reservoir I found a male vagrant emperor. It was flying up and down the track and over trackside rocks and bushes, but despite staying with it for 40 minutes I didnít see it perched and couldnít photograph it. Eventually the wind increased and it disappeared behind some rocks and didnít reappear.

Sadly I didnít see any Bonelliís eagles this time, but Iím not complaining!

Stew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36CBB28A-CFE8-4243-84AC-A7B5F1A09FF5.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	704818  
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 17:12   #956
Mike Montier

A fabulous day at the Cap this morning. I arrived just before first light and heard a distant Nightjar churring and there was a Golden Oriole at passatge 5 later on.
Some Marsh harriers left very early and groups of Bee-eaters came streaming through.
Then the Honey buzzards came and Barn Swallows were in sight the whole time.
Thanks to Lalo the days totals were:

Marsh Harrier. 23
Honey Buzzard 5
Black Kite. 2
Eleonora’s Falcon 2
Bee-eater. 323
More tomorrow
Mike
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 17:13   #957
Mike Montier

Well done Stew, who would have expected another vagrant emperor so soon!
Maybe an invasion.
Sounds like a great day too.
Mortitx is for me one of the best places in Mallorca, stunning scenery and guaranteed Vultures.
Mike
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 18:17   #958
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Depuadora great also,
Golden Oriole Male, Knot, only the second I have seen in Majorca, Temmincks Stints 2, Little Stints 11, Glossy Ibis 12, Wood Sands 9,Curlew Sands 3 Green 5, Common 6, Ruff 3, Spotted Redshank 3, Greenshank 4, Ringed Plover 5, LRP 6, Snipe 5, Stilts 37, Yellow Wagtail, Tawny Pipit, Red Kite 3, Marsh Harrier 3, Shellduck 2, Teal 5,BHG 35.
Steve.

Last edited by s.g. : Saturday 14th September 2019 at 18:34.
Old Yesterday, 04:25   #959
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.g. View Post
Depuadora great also,
Golden Oriole Male, Knot, only the second I have seen in Majorca, Temmincks Stints 2, Little Stints 11, Glossy Ibis 12, Wood Sands 9,Curlew Sands 3 Green 5, Common 6, Ruff 3, Spotted Redshank 3, Greenshank 4, Ringed Plover 5, LRP 6, Snipe 5, Stilts 37, Yellow Wagtail, Tawny Pipit, Red Kite 3, Marsh Harrier 3, Shellduck 2, Teal 5,BHG 35.
Steve.
Crikey Steve - thatís quite a haul! Hoping some of those birds will stick around for later today!

Stew
Old Yesterday, 04:31   #960
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Well done Stew, who would have expected another vagrant emperor so soon!
Maybe an invasion.
Sounds like a great day too.
Mortitx is for me one of the best places in Mallorca, stunning scenery and guaranteed Vultures.
Mike
Yes, I think Mortitx is one of the Island’s best kept secrets.

Just heard from a friend in the UK that one of his birding friends has arrived in Lesbos to find, quite literally, thousands of vagrant emperors. I know it’s way further east, but you never know..

Stew

Last edited by StewB : Yesterday at 04:33. Reason: Mistake in species
Old Yesterday, 13:15   #961
StewB

En route to Son Real I called in at Maristany and the Depuradora.

At Maristany there were 4 greenshank, 2 snipe and several green and common sandpipers. There was some shooting going on beyond the reeds opposite the track, and a gun dog was splashing around in the shallows nearby, so not surprisingly birds were a little ďmobileĒ.

At the Depuradora quite a lot of Steveís birds remained, although many of them were on the pool nearest the track entrance which is drying out. I managed to get some views from the gate and through the hedge. Highlights were 3 glossy ibis, 3 ruff, 8 little stints, 1 Temminkís, 4 wood sands, 1 curlew sand and several green and common sands, and 2 snipe. There were several sand martins with the swallows and house martins.

Bird-wise Son Real was a little disappointing, although as usual Thekla larks were no problem - at least 6 near the beach. Shags and Audouinís gulls were on the offshore rocks, and a wheatear was in the scrub.

Other creatures provided a lot of interest. At least six two-tailed pasha butterflies were in the air, a scarlet dragonfly was over the pool from the hide, a miniscule Heermanís tortoise was near the viewing platform and a weasel hesitated by the track before dashing back into cover.

Stew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AE431D98-3FF1-4F09-B309-7BD00DA4B105.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	704910  
Old Yesterday, 15:50   #962
Mike Montier

Another great morning at the Cap with Steve and ten locals.
The action started early with four Marsh harriers going through and a Honey Buzzard followed soon after.
Bee-eaters made their presence known by calling constantly, as they do. One of the most evocative sounds of autumn here. Over 200 again I’m sure.
Several Eleonora’s Falcons left, a couple of Common Kestrels and many groups of Barn Swallows.
More Honey Buzzard circled round before leaving and two Hobby flashed overhead. Three Black Kite departed together but changed their minds and came back.
I had to leave so I don’t yet have the totals but I will post them as soon as I can.
A great day.
Mike
Old Yesterday, 17:22   #963
Patrick_m

A few photos of the birds at the Cap, today and yesterday, to support Mike's latest post.
The Montagu's was a nice addition to a great day
Sorry Mike , I did not have good or recent pictures of Bonelli's as you requested the other day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_D_B3791.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	820.9 KB
ID:	704922  Click image for larger version

Name:	_D_B3835.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	704923  Click image for larger version

Name:	_D_B3411.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	704924  Click image for larger version

Name:	_D_B3670.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	704925  
Old Yesterday, 19:04   #964
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Indeed a great time Mike, enjoyed the company and the banter even if I didn't get most of it!Great photos Patrick.
Glad you got the birds at the Depuadora Stew.
Called in on the way back from the Cap. The Knot was there, showed it to the guy who was standing on the wall at the Cap, can't remember his name Mike, unfortunately it was flushed by a Marsh Harrier, not sure if it came back. Also Golden Oriole was still there just by the left turning at the binocular sign. And 20 Glossy Ibis.
Steve.
Old Yesterday, 22:33   #965
Mike Montier

Thanks Steve, a great day. I didn’t understand much of the banter either!
Thanks Patrick, superb images.
I believe the Knot was seen at Sa Roca hide, maybe flew there after it was flushed.
Knot is becoming so scarce these days and it’s now hard to find here.
The days totals kindly supplied by Lalo and the Mallorca Raptor Count members were:

Marsh Harrier. 14
Black Kite. 4
Common Kestrel. 3
Honey Buzzard. 13
Eleonora’s Falcon. 17
Montagu’s Harrier. 1
Hobby. 2
Barn swallow. 700
Bee-eater. 310
Golden oriole. 2
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Yesterday at 22:36.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: