• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites near Salvador, Brazil (1 Viewer)

tjbirder999

I will be visiting Salvador for a week in early October with friends and family. I hope to get away birding for a couple of nights, and I could do with some advice. I recently moved to southern Brazil (Porto Alegre), so this will probably not be my only trip to the north-east, and I hope to return to do it properly. For this trip, I just want to have some good birding and get my eye into the local species.
From online searches, I cannot see any major birding sites close to Salvador itself. A good option within a few hours drive appears to be Crasto. Boa Nova looks like a great place to visit, but I am wondering if it might be too far for such a brief visit. Any local sites around Salvador would also be great to know, even if they are not major birding sites; if they also happened to be nice places that family and friends would like to visit, all the better. I would welcome any suggestions from those familiar with the area.
Thanks

Tom

Thanks for the recommendation Andrew. I believe Crasto is the main site for the Fire-eye, so if I can get it locally at Fazenda Campina on a day trip, I may be able to try another site for the two-day visit.

Tom

Fazenda Campina looks like a good site to visit, with plenty of lists posted on e-bird. The location marked on e-bird for Fazenda Campina is a few km from any road, so it is unclear where to access the site from. I have also been unable to find any other site details online. The nearest town is Pojuca. Should I access the site from here, or from the other direction? Any site details would be very welcome.
Thanks,

Tom

Fazenda Campina looks like a good site to visit, with plenty of lists posted on e-bird. The location marked on e-bird for Fazenda Campina is a few km from any road, so it is unclear where to access the site from. I have also been unable to find any other site details online. The nearest town is Pojuca. Should I access the site from here, or from the other direction? Any site details would be very welcome.
Thanks,

Tom

Josh Beck's report gives access details:
https://www.cloudbirders.com/be/download?filename=BECK_Brazil_0405_2019.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back