• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albino house sparrows (1 Viewer)

GoG

We have two visiting Albino House Sparrows, to our makeshift bird table, one appears a little larger than the other one & can be seen occasionally feeding him seeds.
This I take it will be the father feeding the smaller albino whilst the mother is probably preparing for a new clutch.
Just wondering are they a rare occurrence? Are the parents often Albino too?

I’ve been Birding a long...long time, and have yet to see an albino or leucistic House Sparrow, thus I’d have to assume that rightly or wrongly....Passer domesticus (House Sparrow) in this phase is very unusual.

Cheers

I’ve got a couple of not too good pics on my phone, I’ll upload shortly to see what the general consensus is.
Thanks for your info.

I'm anxious to see your pics.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Apologise for very poor quality.

Attachments

• A323843C-8B89-4EC0-8BBD-9A5DA50BA2CA.jpeg
    A323843C-8B89-4EC0-8BBD-9A5DA50BA2CA.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 214
  • F3920F2A-6F40-441E-9EE4-8D1C02310484.jpg
    F3920F2A-6F40-441E-9EE4-8D1C02310484.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 207
They keep arriving whilst we’re busy so it’s always a mad scramble for a phone to snap him with. Will try to get better ones.

I’ve been Birding a long...long time, and have yet to see an albino or leucistic House Sparrow, thus I’d have to assume that rightly or wrongly....Passer domesticus (House Sparrow) in this phase is very unusual.

Cheers
Leucistic ones at least do exist though.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 139

Cheers

Have I taught you nothing.......grrrrrr

This might be better. Excuse the bird poo on the window......

Attachments

• 630117A9-51AA-458E-B83C-8D0033859767.jpeg
    630117A9-51AA-458E-B83C-8D0033859767.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 180
looks to be a House Sparrow indeed, as to know what kind of albinism it is, this is not possible without better pictures

Some years ago, a similar all white plumaged House Sparrow frequented the island of Föhr/Germany. It still had a dark eye.
Picture was taken on 24.4.2010 at Wrixum/Föhr.

This is the only all-white House Sparrow, I saw in all the years.
If its of interest, I have more pictures of this bird.

Alexander Stöhr

Attachments

• Haussperling.JPG
    Haussperling.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 175
Some years ago, a similar all white plumaged House Sparrow frequented the island of Föhr/Germany. It still had a dark eye.
Picture was taken on 24.4.2010 at Wrixum/Föhr.

This is the only all-white House Sparrow, I saw in all the years.
If its of interest, I have more pictures of this bird.

Alexander Stöhr

WOW that’s a real stunner Alexander! Yes...I’m sure more images would be welcome by the readership. :t:

Cheers

I have, a leucistic bird was present in the hedges of a supermarket car park when I was on Shetland once. It was just a few wing and back feathers which were white.

I am reminded of a leucistic male I saw in a flock of sparrows at Radipole, many, many years ago. For a moment I thought I'd found a Desert Sparrow. Beautiful bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back